Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

debt owed from deceased granny, after at least 3 months, must grandchild pay? MO

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please see Missouri code section 473.444 -- the timeframe for creditors to submit a claim to the estate is one year, not 180 days.

It doesn't sound like your friend opened probate. She should probably do that and have herself appointed as the administrator of her grandmother's estate, because it's letters of administration from the court that would give her the right to remove anything from her grandmother's home, not her relationship to her grandmother. Once probate has been opened, the law states the order in which the debts of the deceased must be paid. Recouping the cost of funeral expenses and the administrator's fee usually rank higher than debts to unsecured creditors, which may be a way to retain some assets.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Does granddaughter know if granny had a will? If so, it needs to be submitted
      for probate. If there is no will, granddaughter can still open probate. The people
      can make a claim against the estate for the money they are owed. Sometimes all
      creditors do not get paid depending on whether there are enough assets to pay
      everyone.

Good luck to her.

If she wants, she can still try talking to the DA also to try & get the property back at
      this time or just go the probate route. The property should not be held like that.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
        Does granddaughter know if granny had a will? If so, it needs to be submitted
        for probate. If there is no will, granddaughter can still open probate. The people
        can make a claim against the estate for the money they are owed. Sometimes all
        creditors do not get paid depending on whether there are enough assets to pay
        everyone.

Good luck to her.

If she wants, she can still try talking to the DA also to try & get the property back at
        this time or just go the probate route. The property should not be held like that.
        I left her a message, my guess is she will do whatever she has to to pay them and get it over with so she can get the truck and get on with relocating to Arizona, I don't think she likes sitting in an empty apartment in the meantime.

Comment

I understand. She can decide. We were just giving some options. At least she
          knows she is not responsible for granny's debts.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X