This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i sell my car if my cosigner dies? Virginia

I got the loan co-signed with my stepfather. Hes currently in the hospital and is dying soon. I can't get him to sign over the right because he overdosed and is now brain dead. the registration also has both of our names on it. what do i do? Someone is comming to look at my car and i'm trying to sell it because i can't afford it.

Originally posted by elsgrant View Post
    I got the loan co-signed with my stepfather. Hes currently in the hospital and is dying soon. I can't get him to sign over the right because he overdosed and is now brain dead. the registration also has both of our names on it. what do i do? Someone is comming to look at my car and i'm trying to sell it because i can't afford it.
    Both of your names are on the registration? Generally, it would be just you & not the co-signer. Whose name(s) are on the title? If both, does it say so & so AND so & so or does it say so & so OR so & so?

Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      Both of your names are on the registration? Generally, it would be just you & not the co-signer. Whose name(s) are on the title? If both, does it say so & so AND so & so or does it say so & so OR so & so?

Thanks.

Both of our names are on the registration. and i'm guessing that both names are on the title but i have to check that. it says "AND" not "OR"....what do i do now?

Comment

If your car title has two/both names on it and your stepfather dies, you may or may not be able to claim sole ownership of the car. This depends on state law, and the nature of your relationship with the other owner. You may be able to claim sole title automatically upon the submission of appropriate documentation, or the deceased owner's interest in the car may have to be assigned by the estate administrator or the probate court. Contact the DMV in your area.
        Last edited by Betty3; 06-16-2010, 09:33 PM.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I need to get title in my name Virginia

the title and the lien to my car is co-signed by my stepfather. hes in the hospital from an over dose and they aren't srue if hes going to make it. hes not responding well. I either need to figure out if my mom can still get power of attorney (he can't sign) or if there is a way i can try to get all the rights to my car. I'm trying to sell it and i can't until this is all sorted out.

Comment

Is this something that has to be done immediately?

If not, waiting is the simplest answer.

If this is something that must be done immediately, you will need a medical directive, or a power of attorney.
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

elsgrant, I'm going to add this to your prior thread. Please keep all questions on the same subject together. Thanks.

Comment

Your Mom can't get POA if he can't sign to give it to her.

PS - She would have to be appointed guardian.
                Last edited by Betty3; 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM. Reason: add PS

Comment

If your step dad is unable to make a competent mental decision, he cant give power of attorney to anyone. Your Mom could possibly be appointed a guardian.
                  I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That's what I meant - he has to be able to sign/competent to sign for POA. You have to set that up ahead of time when you are alive & competent/able to sign. Otherwise, someone will have to be appointed guardian if there is no POA already in force & the person can't sign/is no longer competent.

Comment

Working...
                    X