This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to pay a deceased creditor? Michigan

My husband and I recently discovered via credit report that we owe an old landlord around $600. In the course of tracking him down we've discovered that he is deceased (we're not sure exactly when he died).

We spoke with someone at probate court who explained to us that under these circumstances we would need to determine who is currently in charge of the estate and to pay that person. We weren't friendly with our landlord, but were aware that he had a son (although we never knew his name) and we also have no idea if he had other children and/or a spouse.

Probate did give us a printout listing the Personal Representative of [landlord's] Estate, but there is no way to determine if this is the correct person by reading this sparse printout alone and it contains no real identifying information such as; address, photo, anything really. There is an address and phone number for the Personal Representative, but it seems unwise to call him up and ask if he's the guy we owe $600 dollars to.

We really don't know what our next steps should be, but this is the only thing preventing us from purchasing our first home and we'd like to settle the matter. We have the case number and the date of the judgement.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kyaas; 04-08-2010, 11:01 AM.

The probate court is correct. I would try contacting the personal rep. of the estate. If you would feel more comfortable, you could always talk to an attorney before paying/calling the rep.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
    X