This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "COURT JUDGEMENT" New Hampshire

Received a notice from a law firm in Concord NH, with attached copy of a "Entry of Judgement" in the amount of 13,803.19... Notice says that Judgement is entered against defendant and is filed and recorded in Superior court and is Public record. can someone explain what is transpiring here?

I did have a debt which I was being sued. But no one told me about anything being recorded or finalized. So far to my knowledge none of my paycheck was taken or assets seized. Could it be they may not do anything?
    Is superior court different from Civil court? Will this be reported to the credit bureaus nationwide? Any advice is helpful?

suey.

Originally posted by suey227 View Post
    Received a notice from a law firm in Concord NH, with attached copy of a "Entry of Judgement" in the amount of 13,803.19... Notice says that Judgement is entered against defendant and is filed and recorded in Superior court and is Public record. can someone explain what is transpiring here?

I did have a debt which I was being sued. But no one told me about anything being recorded or finalized. So far to my knowledge none of my paycheck was taken or assets seized. Could it be they may not do anything?
    Is superior court different from Civil court? Will this be reported to the credit bureaus nationwide? Any advice is helpful?

suey.
    It looks like they may have gotten a default judgment against you for some reason (ie you didn't show up in court; answer summons in time allowed) & yes, the judgment will be reported to the credit bureaus.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Further, now that they have a judgement against you, they can pursue remedy.

Remedies could include garnishment, repossession or forced sale of assets.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

cyjeff is correct. You indicate they have not seized any of your assets yet but that doesn't mean they won't & they most likely will. That is the reason they get a judgment - to seize assets.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Judgements in NH last for 20 years. Not sure if it can be renewed, but 20 years is an awful long time. During this time, the judgement will probably continue to accrue interest, at the rate of 7.6%. I could be wrong, but I believe it will be on your credit report until it is satisfied.
          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

I will also add this.

No company is going to go to the expense of getting a judgement and then do nothing.

You will be getting notification of remedy in short order.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Received a letter from an attorney saying that this judgment has been 'recorded and docketed'. Can any one explain what this means? What affects will this have on my credit, possibly my job, and the ability to get a loan or credit card in the future?..

Comment

It means that a judgement has been rendered by the court and has been recorded.

This is just notice that they are coming.

I would recommend calling the attorney and finding out what you can do before they start taking your stuff.

Oh, and be prepared to reimburse the company for the legal fees they have incurred getting you to pay.

Comment

This is going to appear on your credit report, and your FICO will suffer. Creditors will be less likely to approve you for credit, since you had to be sued for a debt, and it still remains unpaid. As a result, if you do get approved for credit in the future, it will probably cost you an arm and a leg. I suppose that any credit cards you may have could invoke a universal default clause, and raise your interest rates (this is speculation, not substantiated fact).

The judgement should not affect your job, unless:

-Your employer's liability insurance company requires a certain level of credit history
                  -You are required to be bonded
                  Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Any time you get a judgment against you, your credit is going to be affected adversely for a long time.

Comment

2 judgements from the same place

I have a garnishment on my pay check for a car that was repoed in 03, they have been taken 25% of my check for a year and now i recieved court papers stating i am going back to court for this again in april, they also sent another garnishment to my payroll dept for the second time for another 25%, so now they are going to be taking 50% percent of my check, which leaves me with no money for bills or anything else, they also said i can not make any pay arrangments untill i go to court in april, can they do this and what should i do?

Comment

You should start your own thread so that we can help you.

Comment

Working...
                        X