This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunkruptcy in california California

i have just won my final hearing at the labor board, I am owed and i think my employer filed bankruptcy. Is it possible to still receive my claim amount if the employer files bunkruptcy. i know he has a 200k Rv motor home.

If your employer did file bankruptcy, a claim will probably have to be filed through/with the bankruptcy court along with all other creditors. Whether you get paid or not depends on the assets available for distribution & the # of other creditors (& who they are)....
    Last edited by Betty3; 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

hmm

what if he filed bankruptcy after my claim?.. i have friends that told me he has to pay me before he files bankruptcy...

also, how is someone able to file bankruptcy if they have a 200k RV?

Comment

Originally posted by ledman5555 View Post
        what if he filed bankruptcy after my claim?.. i have friends that told me he has to pay me before he files bankruptcy...

also, how is someone able to file bankruptcy if they have a 200k RV?
        That is why people/businesses file bankruptcy - to get out of paying claims (creditors).

It depends on his expenses/what he owes vs assets/income etc. as to whether he could file bankruptcy. If the court allows it, then he is able. Also, if this is a business bankruptcy & it's personal RV, that "might" make a difference. I don't know what kind of business this is or anything.

You might talk to the labor board or an attorney - I can't really help you much without complete information. You need to talk to someone who you can explain the whole case to or knows the case.

You might want to verify that he did file bankruptcy - it seems you aren't sure he did per your first post.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Also ref. prior thread http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239463

Comment

The second part of my sig line references your friend's statement, but also to be more helpful I believe we would need to know what type of BK the employer has filed. The differing BK's have different rules, the most common are 7, 11, and 13.
            Last edited by CatBert; 02-28-2010, 03:19 PM. Reason: typo/spelling error
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

First off, we don't even know if he filed bankruptcy. This poster has been posting a lot of "what if" questions.

He needs to talk to someone & find out what is going on & what he needs to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                First off, we don't even know if he filed bankruptcy. This poster has been posting a lot of "what if" questions.

He needs to talk to someone & find out what is going on & what he needs to do.
                You're absolutely right Betty, I was giving the benefit of the doubt that the BK has indeed been filed, but I do see the "if" now, and should have been a but more wary of the "my friend says..." I should have been more careful with my post, instead of making the assumption that things were filed and already being processed.
                Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

That's ok. I was just saying the poster better verify that bankruptcy was filed before concerning himself with how to get his money if it was. OP said "thinks" employer filed bk - the same thing OP said in prior thread.

Comment

hmm

the if questions are me trying to figure out what i will do and how i will go about things if he does file bankruptcy. i know for sure he will do everything in his power to not pay me my money(filing bk). His 200k RV is his personal house, not business.

Comment

It's hard to answer what "if" questions without full information/details. In your prior thread it was getting hard to answer what if questions & too many to answer. You need to find out definite information. You definitely need to find out if bankruptcy was filed & the type & go from there. You might want to talk to legal counsel to see how to go about getting your wages due & ask them any questions you might have.

Comment

Working...
                      X