Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deficiency on purchase money second trust deeds - Nevada Bankruptcy Law Question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deficiency on purchase money second trust deeds - Nevada Bankruptcy Law Question

I am a California bankruptcy law attorney. My question pertains to a similarity between California bankruptcy law and Nevada bankruptcy law. My understanding of CA law is that a purchase money second trust deed holder may not seek a deficiency judgment in a situation where the first trust deed holder has conducted a non-judicial foreclosure on the real property collateral.

My question is: does the law in the state of Nevada also provide that a purchase money second trust deed holder may not recover a monetary deficiency following foreclosure on the real property collateral by the first trust deed holder?

Deficiency Judgment

I am an Oregon attorney with a client that moved here from California. He is being sued on a second note after a foreclosure by the first on a house in California.

I do not read Cal. Code Civ Pro Sec. 580 as prohibiting a deficiency in this situation even if it was a purchase money loan (unless the second foreclosed nonjudically. Are you sure that there can be no deficiency on a purchase money second were there was no foreclosure of the second?

Other California cites would seem to agree. See http://www.homebuyeragents.com/lender-options.asp

Let me know what you think. TIA

Comment

Originally posted by RonsLaw View Post
      I am a California bankruptcy law attorney. My question pertains to a similarity between California bankruptcy law and Nevada bankruptcy law. My understanding of CA law is that a purchase money second trust deed holder may not seek a deficiency judgment in a situation where the first trust deed holder has conducted a non-judicial foreclosure on the real property collateral.

My question is: does the law in the state of Nevada also provide that a purchase money second trust deed holder may not recover a monetary deficiency following foreclosure on the real property collateral by the first trust deed holder?
      I have the same question as the above.

Comment

I believe your best bet in this case is to talk to a bankruptcy attorney in your area.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X