This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental crowns v. conventional fillings California

Is there a formula, for when a dentist decides to, or should fix a cavity by a conventional filling v. a crown?

A few years ago, I used to go to a dentist and when there was a cavity that was filled several times, he would say: "I think I can fix it this time by the standard filling; but soon, you are going to need a crow; so as long as he could hold it, he would do filling"

The dentist thaI I have now and had for several years is not much interested in fillings he wants to move very quickly into getting new crown/s. I don't get any options…just, "you need a crown... we need to make an appointment for a crown." It looks like that I am getting a crown every year or so - +.

A year or so ago, I went for a second opinion about when you need a crown and did not get anywhere from the dentist.

Cost per crown: $1000 insurance pays 50%
    Filling $ 200 "

Any suggestions how to approach this situation would help,

Thank you

Originally posted by lgs View Post
    Is there a formula, for when a dentist decides to, or should fix a cavity by a conventional filling v. a crown?
    I don't see any medical malpractice here.

Ask your dentist if he will do fillings. (He may have good reasons for doing crowns.) If he will not do fillings, you can try to find a dentist who will.

http://thedentist.hubpages.com/hub/d...own-vs-filling
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by lgs View Post
      There is, of sorts.
      Many crowns can be made in China for around ten to fifteen dollars a piece.
      So, 1 crown = $500 to $1000 or more.
      1 filling, $255.
      Do the math.

..______________
      ~ Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some, at the expense of others.

Comment

That's not usually the reason dentists do crowns (in my opinion) - many times a crown is better for the patient.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          That's not usually the reason dentists do crowns (in my opinion) - many times a crown is better for the patient.
          Oh, I know you're right,
          But I've got old school fillings that have lasted longer than a tooth....
          Unfortunately, at the rate I'm going,
          I'll have to start thinking about changing my name...
          ..________________
          ~ The older I get,
          the older old gets.
          Last edited by drruthless; 07-28-2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

In any case, this is a legal forum, not a medical or dental one. No, there is no legal formula determining when there should be a conventional filling vs. a crown.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The OP posted in the medical malpractice forum. No, there is no medical malpractice (as I noted above) in the dentist using a crown instead of a filling even though a crown costs more.

Comment

Working...
              X