X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging facility report forgery Arizona

Hello.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Nepenthean; 07-03-2012, 10:11 PM.

I don't see you being sued - you might just want to do what you are told.

If you believe this activity is definitely fraudulent & believe you should report it, then report it to the HR Dept.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Is the OP's license at risk?

Comment

I'd bring it up to the Radiologist as it is his signature that is going on the reports and he could very well be held liable. I'm nearly certain it will need to go no further.

What kind of logs are you being asked to recreate? Medicare may or may not care.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

You can ask the radiologist though it would seem he would know he is not signing any/the reports - they "might" have his ok to do this.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
            You can ask the radiologist though it would seem he would know he is not signing any/the reports - they "might" have his ok to do this.
            Thanks all for the commentary.

The office manager said the radiologist knows we are taping his name to the document. I wonder if the insurance companies or medicare would care if they knew this activity was transpiring. I wonder if the referring physicans care that a radiolgist is not even reviewing the dexa reports?

Comment

You could report it to HR I guess.

Comment

From a quick Google search.

Four Perry (Ga.) Hospital patients have accused a former radiology technician of falsely noting their mammograms as read by a radiologist when they were not, according to a Telegraph report.

The women allege that Rachael Michelle Rapraeger, a former radiology technician at Perry Hospital, falsified their reports as negative using an electronic signature of a radiologist. The four women received negative results from mammograms that they allege were never read, causing them to go for months with undiagnosed breast cancer.

Houston Healthcare Complex MSO; Houston Healthcare Systems; Perry Hospital; Houston Hospitals; the Hospital Authority of Houston County; Universal Radiology Consultants and Ali Shaikh; Staff Care; and Paula Greenfield, MD, an Atlanta radiologist, are also defendants. The lawsuits seek jury trials, monetary damages and recovery of legal fees and court costs, according to the report. One of the women settled the case outside of court, while the other three cases are still pending.

Ms. Rapraeger was indicted by a Houston County court in 2010 on 10 counts of felony computer forgery and 10 counts of misdemeanor reckless conduct. She allegedly entered negative results for 1,289 mammograms at Perry Hospital that were not read by a radiologist from Jan. 22, 2009-April 1, 2010. Ten of the mammograms were actually positive, and the three women filing suit are among these ten. Ms. Rapraeger is free on a $50,000 bond, pending trial.
                This is safety and compliance issue, not an HR issue. You are falsifying medical records and putting patients lives at risk. This is something that should be reported to your quality and safety department or, if applicable, Joint Commission. I can ask my Imaging director if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by henbob6 View Post
                  Four Perry (Ga.) Hospital patients have accused a former radiology technician of falsely noting their mammograms as read by a radiologist when they were not, according to a Telegraph report.

The women allege that Rachael Michelle Rapraeger, a former radiology technician at Perry Hospital, falsified their reports as negative using an electronic signature of a radiologist. The four women received negative results from mammograms that they allege were never read, causing them to go for months with undiagnosed breast cancer.

Houston Healthcare Complex MSO; Houston Healthcare Systems; Perry Hospital; Houston Hospitals; the Hospital Authority of Houston County; Universal Radiology Consultants and Ali Shaikh; Staff Care; and Paula Greenfield, MD, an Atlanta radiologist, are also defendants. The lawsuits seek jury trials, monetary damages and recovery of legal fees and court costs, according to the report. One of the women settled the case outside of court, while the other three cases are still pending.

Ms. Rapraeger was indicted by a Houston County court in 2010 on 10 counts of felony computer forgery and 10 counts of misdemeanor reckless conduct. She allegedly entered negative results for 1,289 mammograms at Perry Hospital that were not read by a radiologist from Jan. 22, 2009-April 1, 2010. Ten of the mammograms were actually positive, and the three women filing suit are among these ten. Ms. Rapraeger is free on a $50,000 bond, pending trial.
                  This is safety and compliance issue, not an HR issue. You are falsifying medical records and putting patients lives at risk. This is something that should be reported to your quality and safety department or, if applicable, Joint Commission. I can ask my Imaging director if you'd like.
                  Thank you so much. Yes, please ask if would not mind. I wonder if because the imaging software makes the diagnostic determination that the radiologists' role in this modality is minimized? Nevertheless, an MD is NOT reviewing the data and is allowing his name to be photocopied to an imaging report that is faxed to the referring physicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Nepenthean View Post
                    Thank you so much. Yes, please ask if would not mind. I wonder if because the imaging software makes the diagnostic determination that the radiologists' role in this modality is minimized? Nevertheless, an MD is NOT reviewing the data and is allowing his name to be photocopied to an imaging report that is faxed to the referring physicians.

I have to admit, that would make me incredibly uncomfortable.

(Both as a patient, and as someone who worked with the the 'reading' of echocardiograms as part of a huge lawsuit. If any of our physicians had simply signed electronically without reading? I can't imagine!)

Comment

I wouldn't believe your supervisor when she says the radiologist knows. I can't imagine a doctor would risk their license like that. Either way, I'd refuse. Or you can call your state's medical board and ask what they think of you doing this?

I think you're being set up as a fall guy....
                      I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Did you ask the radiologist/bring it up with the radiologist as Elle & I suggested? I would be curious as to what the radiologist says.

Though you might just want to report it & let someone else check into it.

Comment

Did you ask the radiologist/bring it up with the radiologist as Elle & I suggested? I would be curious as to what the radiologist says.

Though you might just want to report it & let someone else check into it.

I will ask him when he is in next time. We do not always have the same rad everyday.

The office manager said for me not to disclose this was going on to administrators or anyone else not directly connected to our facility. Maybe I could use this as political leverage in employment negotiations? Is blackmail illegal? Joking, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Nepenthean View Post
                            I will ask him when he is in next time. We do not always have the same rad everyday.
                            Do the other radiologists sign the reports & it's just this one that doesn't?

Comment

Do the other radiologists sign the reports & it's just this one that doesn't?

I presume the rest sign them, although I do not know. I do not work with all of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X