This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forgot to be fed after surgey Colorado

I had a ruptured appendix on 12/12/08 and was admitted to the hospital on 12/14/08. The doctors did not properly diagnose it till exploratory surgery was performed on 12/25. I had not eaten since 12/11 because of the pain.

On 12/25 after the surgery I was suppose to be put on TPN (nutrition through the IV), but the staff misplaced the order for the bag in my file until a doctor found it on 12/29. She apologized to me for the mishap; I had not realized the bag was not put up because the nurses were constantly putting up sodium, potassium, antibiotic bags. IOW, I had not eaten a thing in 18 days.

Do I have a leg to stand on in asking the hospital to reduce my $3,000 bill for the hospital stay due to their negligience? I feel that if I had had the proper nutrition I would have out days earlier.

Thanks,

dorothy

All you can do is ask or you can run it by an attorney.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty3,

Thanks - I'll give that a try if I don't hear back from the hospital. I wrote them a letter about it as well.

dorothy

Comment

Definitely run it by an attorney. You might also get in touch with the Risk Management officer of the hospital. They can sometimes arrange for private settlements with patients in order to stay out of court. This can happen without your getting an attorney, but you are better off having one.

Comment

Originally posted by dmmoran View Post
          Betty3,

Thanks - I'll give that a try if I don't hear back from the hospital. I wrote them a letter about it as well.

dorothy
          You're welcome. Good luck to you. Definitely get an attorney if it becomes necessary.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Risk Mgmt Officer? Hmmm.... I never heard of that before, but will call them and see if they can put me in touch w/one. Thanks TSCompliance!

Comment

Working...
            X