This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Slandering employee Iowa

Ok this is kinda complicated. I am a manager in a restaurant. I have been with this restaurant for 22 years. I have an opportunity to get a straight day job and would like to take it so I can spend more time with my family. The problem is my boss's wife would be the one hiring me and he has told her if she hires me there will be problems in the marriage. I guess I am asking can he legally do that? Can he influence his wife not to hire me like that?

It would not be illegal for him to do so. If she did hire you & it started causing problems in the marriage & she decided the problems weren't worth it, you might end up being let go for one reason or another.

What is the slander you mentioned - is it just he doesn't want to lose you or what has he been saying to her about you & you believe is slander?
    Last edited by Betty3; 01-12-2013, 08:40 AM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed. Past that slander/libel/defamation is pretty much unrelated to labor law. These sort of cases are very difficult to win under US law, and generally speaking all of the following must be true.
      - A false statement was made and it can be proved that the statement was false. While this is a necessary first step, proving the statement was false is not by itself adequate.
      - It must also be proved that the false statement was made with the knowledge that the statement was false and the intent of causing damage. There is a formal defense here called Absence of Malice, which was well discussed in a movie by the same name. It is perfectly legal to make false statements as long it cannot be proved that the statements were known to be false and intended to cause injury. This is a difficult legal burden of proof in the US.
      - Finally even if the last two conditions are true, actual damages must be proven and the claim is generally limited to the recovery of those actually damages. There is another movie (QB VII) in which the plantiff was able to show under the tougher British defamation laws that he was libeled but was basically awarded one pound in total damages because the court did not feel his reputation was worth anything in the first place.

As stated, defamation is pretty much unrelated to labor law. Any additional labor law issues are treated separately under very different rules.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
      X