This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my (ex) boss bad mouth me?

I was terminated for reasons unclear to me. I did not resist or seek argument.
    My Significant other works for the Corporate division of the same company, but
    under a different umbrella. The next day, he went to work and my former direct
    supervisor told him inaccurate information, advised him I had poor work
    performance, and then embellished personal relationship issues.

I was never written up. I was never told how to perform certain aspects of my
    job. I was never warned of any poor performance.

There was an unrelated complaint about one of my 5 supervisors, which I had the
    misfortune to answer (phone call) and I passed along the message. I was then
    told I was to not listen to complaints, to put them to voice mail, and made to
    feel that I had acted poorly, even though I was never told in advance how to
    handle that type of situation. I later learned this event was made an issue
    when two of the supervisors got together, outside of work, "we were drinking
    wine, and then later that night, I got it in my head, that what if you said
    something that could get us sued?" That is what was told to me... by one of
    the supervisors.

I received another call, complaining about two of the supervisors, and I
    advised the caller I would only be able to put him to voicemail, he refused and
    started continuing on. I begged him off, got a call back number, and forward
    the information to the two supervisors in question. I was told, "He can go fly
    a kite for all I care." Again, this was somehow made to be my fault. Oh, the
    complaint was that they never call him back...

I am unclear as to the law- can a supervisor bad mouth me (a former employee)
    to an employee who is not involved in her umbrella of the company, who she
    knows has a personal relationship with me, outside of any professional lines?
    And, can they fire my S.O. if we ask HR to make her stop bad mouthing me?
    This same supervisor has referred to other employees as "idiots" to not only
    other managers, but to me, as an employee, as well. I don't want to get my
    Significant Other in any issues- but, I am concerned that I am being
    slandered/mis-represented.

I was never officially written up- I was never reprimanded. I was just under
    90 days of employment, and I documented my butt off as to my daily activites,
    which of course, is on the company computer! (I have no access to any support
    documents!) Admittedly, one of my supervisors stated to (yet) another
    Supervisor that she had not properly trained me.

Any serious advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

Can my (ex) boss bad mouth me?

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:24:58 +0000, NeedAnswersInFla wrote:
    I was terminated for reasons unclear to me. I did not resist or seek argument. My Significant other works for the Corporate division of the same company, but under a different umbrella. The next day, he went to work and my former direct supervisor told him inaccurate information, advised him I had poor work performance, and then embellished personal relationship issues. I was never written up. I was never told how to perform certain aspects of my job. I was never warned of any poor performance. There was an unrelated complaint about one of my 5 supervisors, which I had the misfortune to answer (phone call) and I passed along the message. I was then told I was to not listen to complaints, to put them to voice mail, and made to feel that I had acted poorly, even though I was never told in advance how to handle that type of situation. I later learned this event was made an issue when two of the supervisors got together, outside of work, "we were drinking wine, and then later that night, I got it in my head, that what if you said something that could get us sued?" That is what was told to me... by one of the supervisors. I received another call, complaining about two of the supervisors, and I advised the caller I would only be able to put him to voicemail, he refused and started continuing on. I begged him off, got a call back number, and forward the information to the two supervisors in question. I was told, "He can go fly a kite for all I care." Again, this was somehow made to be my fault. Oh, the complaint was that they never call him back... I am unclear as to the law- can a supervisor bad mouth me (a former employee) to an employee who is not involved in her umbrella of the company, who she knows has a personal relationship with me, outside of any professional lines? And, can they fire my S.O. if we ask HR to make her stop bad mouthing me? This same supervisor has referred to other employees as "idiots" to not only other managers, but to me, as an employee, as well. I don't want to get my Significant Other in any issues- but, I am concerned that I am being slandered/mis-represented. I was never officially written up- I was never reprimanded. I was just under 90 days of employment, and I documented my butt off as to my daily activites, which of course, is on the company computer! (I have no access to any support documents!) Admittedly, one of my supervisors stated to (yet) another Supervisor that she had not properly trained me. Any serious advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Workplace fairness and NELA (National Emplyment Lawyers Association) are
    great resources. Contact them, find an attorney and discuss your case.

IANAL, but sounds like they have problems.

freecode

Comment

Free,

What case do you think that she has? It sounds as if the supervisor is
      within his rights to have an opinion and express it. She has not been
      damaged by this opinion other than hurt feelings. It wouldn't hurt to get a
      free consult from an attorney but I suspect she'll be told that there is no
      money and no case.
      As to the question of whether her husband can be fired if he complains
      about this behavior I do not know.

Dave M.
      "

Comment

Thanks, Free and Dave-
        Actually, the information that is being freely distributed about me is that I
        had two inappropriate relationships with men at the job. That is simply an
        outrageous lie. When my S.O was literally tracked down and cornered by the
        woman who was my direct Sup., she could not come up with a reason other than
        she said "Oh, well, she was not doing her work,." Which, is not the case, I
        did my work and hers, as well- but, of course, I can't prove it cuz the
        documentation is on the company computer!
        It has always been my understanding that a former employer cannot speak poorly
        of an employee, let alone to another employee, let alone to a non-manager, let
        alone to someone who is not directly involved with that particular emplyee's
        job duties.
        It hurts me that this person would seek to cause strife in my personal
        relationship, which SHOULD BE completely independant of work. (And, in our
        eyes, it was!) Of course, I feel horribly disappointed, but I also realize that
        all things come out in the wash, and eventually, the Much Higer Ups will see
        the muddy water left behind. OK, so, in a way, I'll be - vendicated (?) when
        the bologna still occurs, and I am not there to blame. OK, great. But,
        meanwhile, my S.O has to go to work and here these women speak ill of me, with
        no recourse? I am - of course- grateful that I am in a relationship where he
        knows better and we are secure with one another. BUt, face it, losing a job is
        hard, and it stings- having this woman try to cause further damage to me is
        unreasonable! To tell my S.O. that I was having inappropriate relationships
        with two men at work is outrageous! I am not a loose nor immoral woman. To
        be honest, when I found out everything she said, it really made me wonder if
        she wasn't really talking about herself.
        I think I understand what happened- I posed a threat, and I saw some things I
        should not have been a party to (personal, not work related but her personal
        issues) and when the s*hit hit the fan, someone had to go down holding the bag-
        that's where I came in. Scape Goat.
        But, to defame me, or slander me,.. whatever the word might be (I am not a
        lawyer!) and to spread malicious innuendo/lies/rumors about me it just too
        much.
        So, in other words, David- does my S.O. just have to take it? He can't go to
        the Dir. of HR and say- Hey, listen, these women need to act like managers, and
        stop with the filty lies... ? He is concerned that he'll be on the short
        list if he makes waves, and with me just getting let go for with no reason, we
        are going to have to be careful, cuz the bills won't care.
        I know I can eventually find another job. However, with Hurricane Charely
        having gone thru, and Francis looming,.. it is going to take a while. A lot of
        people are out of work. Everyone needs to pay for stuff- so the market is
        saturated.

IOW: I am screwed for a while. I have no reference from them- I'd prefer not
        to be called an immoral/loose woman. And, I just have to take it.

I guess, all I can do is pray for Karma.

Comment

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do in this situation. At best, you may win a civil suit, but I seriously doubt it would be worth your time. As far as your S.O. being let go because they stand up for you... I seriously doubt they would be terminated for this situation, but it probably isn't a good idea in a political sense.

I think you should let it go. Everywhere you work people are going to have problems with you and some of those people are going to disparage you. Deal with it. I think your sensitivity to the situation makes you seem a little naive. Grown ups don't always play nice and the faster you come to terms with that the more likely you are to find some peace with it.

good luck,

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by tabletopjohn View Post
            Unfortunately, there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do in this situation. At best, you may win a civil suit, but I seriously doubt it would be worth your time. As far as your S.O. being let go because they stand up for you... I seriously doubt they would be terminated for this situation, but it probably isn't a good idea in a political sense.

I think you should let it go. Everywhere you work people are going to have problems with you and some of those people are going to disparage you. Deal with it. I think your sensitivity to the situation makes you seem a little naive. Grown ups don't always play nice and the faster you come to terms with that the more likely you are to find some peace with it.

good luck,

Johnny
            Johnny, the original post is six years old. Please don't resurrect old posts. ThankS!
            I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

& the original poster's situation I'm sure has been resolved in some way by now.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
              X