PDA

View Full Version : Terminating parental rights in Missouri

armydog300sgirl
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I live in Missouri and live with a man who has just found out that a boy born 2 years ago belongs to him. They have begun to take child support out of his checks, but he has never had and still has no contact with the child. He says he really feels no attatchment to this boy. Is there any way he can give up his rights to this boy and have his child support stopped. I know that he would still be responsible for the child support he already owes, but to terminate everything from this point on is there any way.

mommyof4
05-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I live in Missouri and live with a man who has just found out that a boy born 2 years ago belongs to him. They have begun to take child support out of his checks, but he has never had and still has no contact with the child. He says he really feels no attatchment to this boy. Is there any way he can give up his rights to this boy and have his child support stopped.
No, probably not. Especially if the mother has recieved any financial assistance from the state, including medicaid, wic, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc. In most states the only way a parent's rights may be terminated is if the other parent has been married for at least a year, the stp parent is willing to adopt the child, and the parents and the judge all agree to it. Even if he could tpr, he would still have to pay any child support that is in arrearages.

MissMonkie
01-05-2007, 03:42 AM
I am no attorney, but I have heard of a similar situation. I believe Missouri is particular about the "*******ization" of a child. Someone we know found that genetically one of the children he thought was his, and had been paying support for quite a while, was not. When he took this to court to reduce or drop parental rights. They said no. However, if there is another party that wishes to take on the responsibility of parenthood of the child, I believe parental rights may be allowed relinquished only if a legal agreement someone else will be taking over by adoption. I would call an attorney.:)

mommyof4
01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I know you are new, but please look at the dates of the threads you are responding to.

MissMonkie
01-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I know you are new, but please look at the dates of the threads you are responding to.

I did? I thought this was cumulative information, older posts being bumped with new or other information? I see that many of the posts are older, is it somewhere in the rules not to respond to older posts with these fora? I guess I misunderstood, I thought this site was informative? Or are these threads just treated as one time only and should be archived in the first place? We use the same software and ususally archive those posts that are older (since Erwin created vbb and then sold it) Thanks for the heads up!

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements