PDA

View Full Version : Legal age to move out in Nebraska

frustratedstep
04-23-2006, 03:35 PM
To make a long story short... at age 16 my step son was living with us and got into some trouble which ended up with him being a state ward but placed in our custody. He is now 17, has gotten his GED, works full-time and wants to be on his own.

What is the legal age in Nebraska to live on your own? What hoops does a person have to jump through to be emancipated in this state.

Also, my husband still receives child support from his ex-wife, does this stop now that his son has his GED?

Thanks.

mommyof4
04-24-2006, 06:16 AM
To make a long story short... at age 16 my step son was living with us and got into some trouble which ended up with him being a state ward but placed in our custody. He is now 17, has gotten his GED, works full-time and wants to be on his own.

What is the legal age in Nebraska to live on your own? What hoops does a person have to jump through to be emancipated in this state.

Also, my husband still receives child support from his ex-wife, does this stop now that his son has his GED?

Thanks.
You can ask the court for anything, but there is no provision in Nebraska for emancipaton of a minor, except marriage, for which the parents must present signed consent. Even if Nebraska did allow for emancipation, the fact that he was placed in your custody, but is still considered a ward of the state, as a result of being "in trouble" would work against him. You can give him permission for him to move out, but realize that you will still be legally and financially responsible for him and his actions. This is a really BAD idea, in my opinion.

The child support should continue until he reaches the age of majority, which is 19 in Nebraska.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements