PDA

View Full Version : IT On-call Pay rates

aberg
04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
First off, I live and work in Minnesota. Mainly what I'm looking for is typical on-call rates for IT professionals. The company that I work for is looking to start paying exempt IT professionals for on-call time. Some rates I get from around the country look at $2-$3/hr. I'd also like to get some rates from closer to home (rates were from CO and NC), but any rates are welcome.

I know there isn't a law regarding it, because since they are exempt, they do not need to be compensated, however, I do know that similar questions have been asked on this site several times, so one of you gurus might have a link or a helpful search criteria I could use (tried on-call rate IT in google already, but not sure of what else to look for). Thanks in advance! :)

AB

cbg
04-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "typical" on-call rate for exempt employees. Since they are not required by law, many employers do not provide them, and for those who do, they are all over the map depending on area of the country, specific duty, and circumstances.

aberg
04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Well, by typical, I mean the median pay for such duties. I know we aren't required to give it, but we feel that it's something that they deserve. I'm ok if someone has some non-exempt on-call pay rates, I just want to find the general range and work from there. any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Pattymd
04-12-2006, 05:15 AM
I doubt you're going to get much response here on this question. You might try an employment-related or career-related chat room.

pjw73nh
04-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I work in IT in a 22 person shop. I am exempt. Only the helpdesk (non exempt) people are paid for being on call. They are oncall for a whole week every 6 weeks. They get $2.50 per hour for the time they are on call (on the pager), not during the workday. If they can solve the issue by phone, the get a minimum of 15 minutes of OT for each call, or if runs beyond that, the next highest 15 min increment. If they have to come in they get a minimum of 2 hours OT, but it does NOT include travel time or mileage (which I question the legality of).

As for the rest of the shop. We are exempt. We are also required to be oncall, within an hour travel time of the department, and must be within 5 minutes of a telephone. We are on call for a whole week once every four weeks. We do not get any compensation for anything related to oncall. No pager money, no phone reimbursement, no travel time or mileage. I also question the legality of this. Hope this helps.

P

Pattymd
04-13-2006, 02:23 PM
but it does NOT include travel time or mileage (which I question the legality of). No question, not illegal.

mlane58
04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Well you aren't going to like the answer: Since you are an exempt employee, your employer can require you to be on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and not pay you any extra compensation and the employer is legally within the law.

cbg
04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
If you are correctly classified as exempt, it is entirely legal. There are no circumstances whatsoever in which an exempt employee is entitled by law to a single penny over and above their regular salary, no matter how many hours they work or how much time they spend on call.

For non-exempt employees, the only state where an employer is required by law to pay mileage is California. Travel time between home and work is not compensable time. With rare exceptions, they only HAVE to be paid for the time they are actually working. In this day of cell phones and pagers, it is rare indeed when an employee has to be paid simply because he is on call.

pjw73nh
04-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the repiles and the clarifications. To prevent "thread creep" I am going to start another thread that asks about computer (Network support) staff and whether they are/should be classified as exempt or non.

aberg
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I work in IT in a 22 person shop. I am exempt. Only the helpdesk (non exempt) people are paid for being on call. They are oncall for a whole week every 6 weeks. They get $2.50 per hour for the time they are on call (on the pager), not during the workday. If they can solve the issue by phone, the get a minimum of 15 minutes of OT for each call, or if runs beyond that, the next highest 15 min increment. If they have to come in they get a minimum of 2 hours OT, but it does NOT include travel time or mileage (which I question the legality of).

As for the rest of the shop. We are exempt. We are also required to be oncall, within an hour travel time of the department, and must be within 5 minutes of a telephone. We are on call for a whole week once every four weeks. We do not get any compensation for anything related to oncall. No pager money, no phone reimbursement, no travel time or mileage. I also question the legality of this. Hope this helps.

P

Thanks for tje information, thats pretty much what I'm looking for. We are just trying to get a good estimate of the rate so we can make a good judgement call. We don't have too many on call per week, so we are basically thinking about giving on-call to stop some grumblings ($20-$40/wk isn't much compared to the cost of turnover).

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements