PDA

View Full Version : Charge for lost keys

Mickd
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Can my employer charge me for losing my work keys during working hours. If yes, then how much can they charge. 1 is an electronic key that would require doors to be reprogramed, and the others are your everyday key you can copy at a hardware store.

Thanks in advance.

cbg
03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
What state are you in? Whether an employee can be charged for lost or damaged property is state-specific.

Mickd
03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Connecticut

Pattymd
03-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Nope, not without your written authorization.

Sec. 31-71e. Withholding of part of wages. No employer may withhold or divert any portion of an employee's wages unless (1) the employer is required or empowered to do so by state or federal law, or (2) the employer has written authorization from the employee for deductions on a form approved by the commissioner, or (3) the deductions are authorized by the employee, in writing, for medical, surgical or hospital care or service, without financial benefit to the employer and recorded in the employer's wage record book.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/pub/Chap558.htm#sec31-71e.htm

Mickd
03-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks again for the extremely quick responses.

If I understand this correctly, they can not withhold any amount from my pay check, but is it possible for them to somehow send me a bill for the cost of replacing the keys. The amount they are talking could be over $2000.

Pattymd
03-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Well, they can send you a bill. That's really just a subterfuge for not deducting it from your paycheck. And you cannot pay it, and they can sue you and, unless you agreed in writing that you would reimburse them for such lost items, you'd probably win.

This is a cost of doing business, and the business should realize that.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements