PDA

View Full Version : Work Hours in a day

biggasdaddy
03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I am a paramedic working for a private transport service.... was scheduled to work an 18hr shift as a favor and was forced to work over that 18hrs. I told them I would see if they could do that... How many hours can an employee work without sleep???? :confused:

Pattymd
03-14-2006, 04:42 AM
There is no general law in PA (or federal) that requires a certain number of hours off between shifts. But, as a paramedic, since I would think you would be waiting for a call, couldn't you sleep while waiting? Ours (I'm with a city government) do that all the time.

biggasdaddy
03-14-2006, 05:33 AM
We ran our whole shift.... It isn't in question about time off in between shifts but rather how many hours can a person work straight in a day without rest??? I mean truck drivers can only drive a certain number of hours.....

Pattymd
03-14-2006, 07:26 AM
To my knowledge, paramedics are not so restricted. Again, that is because, in most cases, they are simply waiting for a call and so, can sleep during that time. You didn't answer that question. You can contact the state Dept. of Labor to see if, depending upon what possible sleep arrangements are provided, there is a restriction on your particular job.

biggasdaddy
03-14-2006, 08:40 AM
No there are no sleep arrangements as far as a bunk room or cots.

Pattymd
03-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Then, I would still recommend contacting the DOL and asking this question particular to your job.

Pennsylvania Labor Law Posters
Comply with Pennsylvania regulations with one Complete Pennsylvania Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.