PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Illinois law covering tape recording conversations?

meridian97
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Our warehouse manager "Anne" has been "hounding" another employee "Lucy" about numerous things. Everything from not working fast enough to making a mistake because she's working too fast. "Lucy" got fed up, turned around and asked "Anne" why she was being a "b**ch. "Anne" then stated, thanks I've got you on tape. "Lucy" wanted to know if this taping was illegal and what to do? One of the office staff pointed to the labor posters. Lucy called the hotline for discrimination. Regardless of Lucy's comment, is it illegal to tape record conversations or even elude that you were recorded? I inadvertenly walked into the middle of a conversation between "Anne" and our boss "Jack". I handed him paperwork that he was waiting for and as I was walking out I heard "Anne" say to "Jack", ""I used that recorder you gave me. It came in handy the other day."" Myself and another employee saw him listening to this recorder. We have no one who handles human resources. If we have problems, we are supposed to go to "Anne" or "Jack". If they are the problem, what then? I understand "Jack" can monitor our emails and phone calls, but where is the line drawn?

I was informed that "Lucy" is being fired with options. She is being offered 6 weeks pay severance plus remaining vacation time if she accepts right away. If "Lucy" wants she can work for 6 more weeks provide that she has no confrontations whatsoever with anyone. She can take 8 hours each week to look for another job. If she needs job training, "Lucy" will be paid $2000. At then end of 6 weeks, she will receive 4 weeks severance plus vacation. "Lucy" has until Monday to decide. No mention of the recorded conversation was made. As for why "Lucy" is being fired, "she can't work and play well with others." The reason I believe she was fired is "Jack" has a thing for "Anne". Whether or not they have consummated or not, 10 other workers cannot be imagining seeing the same treatment "Anne" receives. She just has to run to "Jack", and he does whatever she wants. And Boy! Did she want "Lucy" gone. Oh Yeah! Yesterday was "Anne's" birthday, what a perfect gift. "Jack" has had valid reasons to fire "Lucy" over the past several years. So why now? Any thoughts? Thanks for listening.

JustinQ8023
05-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Like I tell everyone on here. Have her talk to an attorney. Its free until you sign with them. Let him/her know what is going on. TRUST me better safe than sorry.

cbg
05-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Another warning about responding to dormant posts; another correction to your contentions that consultations with an attorney are always free until you sign with them. That is NOT true.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements