PDA

View Full Version : Loss of a job

Brenda200021
02-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I live in the state of Vermont and i have been out on short term disability I was told to return to work or i would lose my job so my doctor released me and my work said to return the next day .I get a call the same day go and see our company doctor so okay I did that he didn't see anything wrong with me either but we aggreed to go to a functional testing program with I did went throught the test,mind you we had no guide lines to go by (I lifted 35 lbs).The person asked if this is about right what you normally lift and I answered I think so,so off I went.The report got back to my job and said you can't come back because you can't lift 50 lbs,I told them we had no guide lines to go by but was willing to take the test again just to prove I could do the work.The person that did the test was very upset because I lost my job do to this error.My HR person never gave me the information and said it was a learning experience for her and she was very sorry in the mean time I lost my job!Is their anything I can do about this our am I hung out to dry!

wwy
02-20-2006, 09:50 PM
You may be covered under the Americans with Disability Act. Read about it here:

http://www.eeoc.gov/types/ada.html

Since it sounds like your employer/HR is attempting to accomadate you, and may just be trying to learn how to go about it, you may be able to provide them with some information, and perhaps take the test again.

Brenda200021
02-21-2006, 05:27 AM
I did take the test again and they didn't want to see it.They told me they were going off the first test.I took the test on my own and they said they didn't care.All I wanted to do is go back to work but it didn't matter too them one way or the other.They never tried to help me they just didn't care!

wwy
02-21-2006, 10:21 AM
My advice still the same. Check out the web site & see if you may be covered. If you are not covered under Federal, you may be covered under state laws.

Call the states civil rights/human rights office.

See what they say.

Vermont Labor Law Posters
Comply with Vermont regulations with one Complete Vermont Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.