PDA

View Full Version : Work shift under 4 hours?

jasonfull
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
In my place of employment, they rarely follow Connecticut state labor laws. They treat their employes with little or no respect and treat them all as though they are replaceable.
I deal with all the crap, but then I heard something about a 4 hour shift law in CT.
Last semester of school I was available at 6:30 pm on Tuesday/Thursday nights, with the store closing at 9:00 (clock out at about 9:15). I was scheduled to work a 6:30-9:00 shift on many Thursday evenings after my classes were out. I then heard that you must be paid for at least 4 hours in a shift if the shift is less that 4 hours long. In other words, I heard 4 hours is the shortest shift that an manager can schedule hourly employees.
I searched everywhere and coulden't turn up any info.
Can someone help me here?

-Jason

Pattymd
12-13-2005, 11:22 PM
No state has a law that requires a shift be scheduled for a minimum number of hours. You may be talking about "reporting time pay", which is when you report for your scheduled shift, but do not get your full scheduled hours, because the employer sends you home early. It appears that Connecticut does not have such a requirement (only 4-5 states do) and, besides, even if they did, your situation would not qualify, since you ARE getting your full scheduled hours.

jasonfull
12-14-2005, 01:53 PM
thank you for the help

jan8022
01-14-2006, 07:10 AM
There is a four hour minimum wage requirement for retail in the state of CT. I can direct you to a PDF of the law poster and tell you that I also got this information directly from the guy who signs the law poster.

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/poster-mercantile.pdf - Section (d)

Even if they schedule a store meeting before store hours, say, and it's your day off and the meeting lasts 1 1/2 hours, the minimum applies here as well. If they let you work, you must be paid for a minimum of 4 hours.

In the case of being sent home early, by law, if you report to work for your shift and it's 6 hours long and they tell you to go home after 2 1/2 hours, you should be paid for the full four hours. This happened to me about a year ago which prompted my inquiry about this.

I ended up writing directly to the Director of the Dept of Labor in the State of CT (who actually answers his email and can be reached through the Ct Dept of Labor website) to verify this. He told me I could apply for the extra time if I wanted to.

Pattymd
01-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the info. I did not find it when I searched the website. Now, the question is, does it apply to the poster, who didn't say what kind of job he had.

jan8022
01-16-2006, 04:28 AM
If you just click on the link I supplied it will take you right to the PDF version of the labor law poster that the State of CT DOL website provides...Section "d" (bottom left column) Minimum Daily Earnings Guaranteed

Here's the link again:

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/poster-mercantile.pdf

his post did say "store" so I assume that means he has a P/T retail job as the post did infer or say directly he was a student.

cbg
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately it's not safe to assume anything on these boards. I had a good friend who worked for 16 years for the corporate headquarters of a retail chain, but she would not be subject to laws for retail employees since she did not work in the stores themselves. There have been too many times I've myself or seen others make assumptions that were quite reasonable on the basis of the information we had, only to find that the poster had left out a critical link to the story which completely changed our reasonable assumption.

jan8022
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
no, of course not, particularly with regard to legal questions. But it's easy to find out whether he's a retail worker by PM'ing him which I've done, as my real concern is not that I'm misinformed about the nature of his employment but that he is.

I hope he'll respond and if he is a P/T retail worker, I'll direct him to the link to the CT Labor Law poster and give him the DOL Director's email address to ask the question himself and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Being as I work in retail, I know how many college kids don't even look to see if their paychecks are correct, never mind ask questions about the labor laws. Being as he seemed interested and sensitive to the exploitation rampant in retail, I don't feel it would be right for me not to try to contact him to give him the information I have which will give him the correct answer to his question.

RRP2005
01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I am looking for clarification on what labor law and CT Labor law say about Paying over time. I read something on the CT-DOL website about paying time and a half after 40 hours but that it does not apply to adminstrative employees under salary. What does the law actually say about this?Also is the employer required to pay for sick days if you are a salaried administrative employee?

I guess I should clarify what I mean about adminstrative employee. The person has a position as the office Receptionist/Secretary/office manager, where she is regularly required to work 45 hours a week. Initially the employer stated that the hours would fluctuate between 40-45 hrs and that overtime would be paid after 45 hours. Can he do this?

Any clarification or links to information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rafael

jan8022
01-17-2006, 08:05 PM
i really don't know anything about the laws governing administrative workers, and i would suggest for a really straight answer you contact the Director of the CT DOL. If you go to this URL:

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/wgemenu.htm

you'll find a link to "Ask the Director" which will open up your email program and you'll be emailing him directly.

As someone who was on salary for years, if this person's on salary AND getting overtime, i wouldn't quibble whether it kicks in at 40 hours or 45, but maybe i'm not understanding what the real question is. Just email the CT DOL Director and I'm sure he'll clear things up for you. In my experience, he was very responsive.

Good luck.

RRP2005
01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Well I'm not quibbling about overtime. Actually, I did not even state in my last posting whether the person was receiving the overtime or not. That is the real issue, that she is not receiving the overtime and that there are these ambiguous terms set to her employment. If I wanted to speak with or email the director, I could have done that on my own. I even indicated in my previous posting that I was ont eh website. What exactly is this forum for? If for nothing else it should be as helpful as possible considering how in this country access to legal information, at leas good legal information, is hard to come by.

-Rafael

cbg
01-18-2006, 12:46 PM
What does the law actually say about this

The law says that employees who qualify as exempt do not have to be paid overtime. You have not provided enough information for us to make a judgement as to whether or not this would apply in the case you are concerned about.

Also is the employer required to pay for sick days if you are a salaried administrative employee?

That depends on exactly how you mean your question. If you mean, is the employer required to offer a benefit of paid sick days, no, he is not. However, if the employer does not offer such a benefit, then he cannot dock an exempt employee for missing time due to illness.

Connecticut Labor Law Posters
Comply with Connecticut regulations with one Complete Connecticut Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.