PDA

View Full Version : forced overtime

Donna1952
11-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I need to know if there is a law that can allow my employer to force me to work overtime and to make me give up one of my regular days off, because they are short handed? At least that is what they are saying, That they can't Hire anyone else right now. So they are telling us that we have to give up one of our days off to work the overtime, and I know that I can't handle it due to my health.

Donna1952
11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Donna1952]I need to know if there is a law that can allow my employer to force me to work overtime and to make me give up one of my regular days off, because they are short handed? At least that is what they are saying, That they can't Hire anyone else right now. So they are telling us that we have to give up one of our days off to work the overtime, and I know that I can't handle it due to my health.

cbg
11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
It's not that there is a law that gives an employer permission to force you to work overtime; it's that there is no law prohibiting them from doing so.

With VERY few exceptions, your employer is free to require you to work as many hours as they require.

Tennessee Labor Law Posters
Comply with Tennessee regulations with one Complete Tennessee Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.