PDA

View Full Version : Double Time Pay In NV?

cheetahback
11-06-2005, 09:51 PM
I work for a CA company with a new office in NV. I heard that there is OT pay for work performed over 8 hours in a day, but IS THERE DOUBLE TIME PAY for work performed over 12 hours in a single day, like in CA?
Being a CA employer, do we need to enforce our CA rules in NV? We are in the construction / telecommunications industry.
Thanks.

Pattymd
11-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Here is the law on Nevada overtime:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-608.html#NRS608Sec018

You may want to call the Labor Commission, though, because I saw a discrepancy. Their FAQ page says that employees who make less than 1.5 times the minimum wage may be entitled to overtime pay over 8 hours in a day, but the law itself does not have that requirement.

For those employees working in Nevada, you only have to comply with NV law, not California. The fact that the company is headquartered in California is irrelevant.

MedMgrLV
05-20-2006, 03:34 AM
I am confused by what looks to be a conflict between min. wage section of the statutes link you have provided, and a min wage by state as of apr.3,2006 from the dol.com site: here they are please help with clarification one says one says; shall pay for anyone making not less 1 1/2 times min. wage, and they other says they are not applicable for premium pay if they are paid not less than 1 1/2 times min.wage. I have pasted both for you:
NEVADA STAT.
An employer shall pay 1 1/2 times an employees regular wage rate whenever an employee who receives compensation for employment at a rate not less than 1 1/2 times the minimum rate prescribed pursuant to NRS 608.250 works more than 40 hours in any scheduled week of work

DOL for the state of nevada
http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm
The premium overtime pay requirement on either a daily or weekly basis is not applicable to employees who are compensated at not less than one and one-half times the minimum rate or to employees of enterprises having a gross annual sales volume of less than $250,000.

Is the distinction the 40 hr work week or is one of them a mistake
Thank You

Pattymd
05-20-2006, 12:17 PM
That's why I recommended the original poster of this thread contact the state Dept. of Labor. I cannot reconcile the two.

cbg
05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
However, CA is the only state that EVER requires double time under any circumstances.

Nevada labor Law Posters
Comply with Nevada regulations with one Complete Nevada Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.