PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Overtime in Utah

herelt
10-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I have a question about Mandatory Overtime in the state of Utah, how long can they schedule us ? I work for a shipping carrier, and we are being told now that we have to work 50 hours a week, Mandatory and that if we miss any time it will be considered as an absence, can they do this ? If so, if they can do this, should we be entitled to a longer lunch, or more breaks or something ?

Just me Curious in Utah : ) any response is appreciated :)

cbg
10-23-2005, 11:29 AM
With very limited, state and industry specific exceptions, mandatory overtime is legal in all 50 states. Yes, they can legally schedule you for 50 hours a week. Nothing in Utah or Federal law requires them to give you any breaks at all, let alone extra ones.

Nothing you have described violates any laws.

herelt
10-23-2005, 12:24 PM
I can now understand why people try to be their own bosses. If you work in corporate america and haven't finished college/university you are the lowliest of underlings. Well its great to know that they can require me to work 50 hours a week and give me nothing in return but money : )) gosh im glad! -- but seriously thanks for the response. I thought that if you worked at least 8 hours you were required to have 'at least' One half hour lunch period and two fifteen minute breaks..... but apparently i was wrong.

Again, thank you for your response, i appreciate the knowledge.

It's great to know that someone out there values the working man..... (sarcasm)

cbg
10-23-2005, 12:44 PM
There is no Federal law requiring breaks of any kind. Federal law onlys says that IF an employer chooses to offer breaks, a break of less than 20 minutes must be paid.

State law determines breaks. Approximately half the states require meal breaks of varying lengths and depending on the length of shift. Five or six states require rest breaks of ten minutes for every four hours worked. One and only one state requires fifteen minute breaks twice a day; that is a VERY recent law and does not apply to all employees even in that state.

Utah is one of the states that does not require any breaks at all. It is entirely up to the employer whether to offer breaks and if so, how many and for how long.

While it is perfectly legal for them to require you to work 50 hours a week, ten of those hours must be paid at time and a half.

herelt
10-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you.

I do appreciate the information. It will help clear up the other happy folks at work.

Thanks Again

Herelt.

Utah Labor Law Posters
Comply with Utah regulations with one Complete Utah Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.