PDA

View Full Version : 40 hour work week ?

GIT-R-DONE
10-16-2005, 08:43 PM
I need to find out if PA has a law that says something to the effect that 40 hours is a regular work week. Wife has a job that is making the employees work 48 hours a week now, when before it was only 40. Is there a law that states how many hours constitute a regular work week? Any links to more info appreciated. Thanks !

Beth3
10-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Is there a law that states how many hours constitute a regular work week? Only for purposes of paying overtime to non-exempt employees, in which case she must be paid time and a-half for all hours worked over 40 each week. There is nothing at all unlawful about schedule a 48-hour work week though.

cbg
10-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Agreed. In all 50 states, a "regular work week" is what the employer says it is. Under Federal law an employee who is non-exempt must be paid OT for any hours over 40, but nothing in any law in any state requires an employer to use 40 hours as their base week. They can make a regular work week be 70 hours if they want to; they can also make it 24 if they want. Or any other number they choose, as long as non-exempts are paid at time and a half for any hours over 40.

GIT-R-DONE
10-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info. This site is full of information, even if I dont like what I am hearing. Thanks again.... :)

Pennsylvania Labor Law Posters
Comply with Pennsylvania regulations with one Complete Pennsylvania Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.