PDA

View Full Version : Paid Holidays in Georgia

kbc
09-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Our employees receive paid holidays. If a non-exempt worker actually works the holiday is the worker entitled to double-time, and what is the state specific rule for GA with regard to holiday pay?

cbg
09-13-2005, 07:51 AM
If an employee works the holiday, the employer is free to pay double time if he chooses to, but he is not required to under the law. The only state I know of in which any private employer is required to pay any form of premium time for working on a holiday is Massachusetts, and even in MA that requirement is limited to only certain holidays and certain employers. Also, MA law does not require double time, only time and a half. I know of at least one other state (Rhode Island) where employees working for the state are entitled to premium time, but that is all unless another state has changed their law VERY recently.

No GA law requires an employer to take any notice of any holidays. They are not required to offer paid holidays; they are not required to pay premium time to employees working on holidays. It is entirely up to the employer whether to offer paid holidays; if so, which ones; whether to offer premium time for employees working the holiday; and if so how much.

enaimo1
10-06-2005, 11:54 AM
CBG,

Please give me specific information regarding holiday pay in Georgia. I have worked for this company for 9 years. We have always received holiday pay for all major holidays. The company has recently merged with another company. Now they say we are no longer going to receive holiday pay. I think this is so unfair because we have been used to getting it for all these years. Our holiday pay worked like this: if you were scheduled off the holiday, you received regular pay for that day. If you worked the holiday you received double time and one half for it. There was also a stipulation that if you were scheduled to work the day before and/or the day after you had to work these days in order to receive you holiday pay. Also, if you do not receive holiday pay, is it manditory that you work said holiday. With this merger they are being so unfair, I would like to know our rights and where we stand.

Thanks,
Ena

Pattymd
10-06-2005, 01:19 PM
You have the information. Whether you think it unfair or not doesn't matter. You have no legal recourse because there was no violation of law. If you don't like the new company's policies there is no reason you have to stay there.

cbg
10-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I have already given you specific information. Under no Federal law and under no Georgia law is an employee entitled to any kind of premium pay for working on a holiday. It is entirely up to the employer whether to provide such pay or not.

I suspect that what you are looking for is something in the law that spells it out for you. There isn't anything. It's not that there is something in the law saying that the employer doesn't have to pay premiums on a holiday; it's that there isn't anything in the law that says they do.

You have the right to be paid your regular hourly rate for any hours that you work and to be paid overtime at the rate of time and a half for any hours over 40 in a week. You have no standing to demand premium time for working on a holiday. It is mandatory that you work all the hours your employer requires you to work, whether it is a holiday or not. If you fail to do so, you can legally be fired.

I hope this clears it up for you.

enaimo1
10-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys,

I guess I will just have to grin and bear it.

Georgia Labor Law Posters
Comply with Georgia regulations with one Complete Georgia Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.