PDA

View Full Version : *17 and want to move out in Texas*

sweetangel
06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm 17 and want to move out of my mothers house right away. I am tired of the way she treats me physically and emotionally. I work two jobs and I give her all of my money and pay for a car that is in her name, but everytime she gets mad, she puts me on foot. I had planned to wait to move in with my boyfriend when I turned 18 in 7 1/2 months but I can't wait that long.

He is 21 and turns 22 in 5 months. My mothers likes him, but the fact of me wanting to leave now, she will do everything in her power to make my life miserable.

I was thinking about just leaving and be known as a run away, but I'm not trying to get my boyfriend in any kind of trouble or myself.

Is there anyone who can give me some information on getting out or how to get emancipated so that I can get out of here!?!

ACc083
07-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Texas

Fortunately for you, there is a process by which you can be considered a legal adult. That process, in Texas, is known as Removal of Disabilites of Minority (Texas Family Code, Chapter 31). It is a difficult process, but with the right help or the right attorney, it can be fairly easy. Since you are 17 years of age, it is not necessary that you live separate and apart from your mom and managing your own financial affairs, but it does help if you meet either criteria. If you chose not to follow through with this process, you must either get married or enlist in the military (both require parental consent) or simply wait until you reach 18 years of age (age of majority in Texas). If such a petition is granted, a minor has the capacity of an adult, except for specific constitutional and statutory age requirements. Except as regulated by federal law, all educational rights transfer to the minor whose disabilities of minority have been removed.

Running away isn't a good option. Many people, for whatever reason, believe that a 17 year old is considered an adult. NO state considers anybody under the age of 18 as a legal adult. Although you can be charged and prosecuted as an adult, the Family Code defines a child as a minor under the age of 18. Chapter 63 of the Code of Criminal Procedure requires a law enforcement officer, upon locating an unemancipated 17 year old who has been reported as a missing child, to return the child to their entitled possessors or the Department of Protective and Regulatory Services. The detention of an unemancipated 17 year old does not violate any constitutional rights. A law enforcement officer may also use force to take possession of a missing child.

If you do decide to run away with your boyfriend and you are reported as a missing child, he and/or his parents or anybody that helps you run away may be prosecuted for Harboring a Runaway Child. This is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable up to a $4, 000 fine and/or up to one year in prison.

SUMMARY: Despite what most people believe, a 17 year old is not considered an adult. The Family Code defines any person under the age of 18 as a child. The parents have the right to physical possession of their child and may report their child as missing if they are voluntarily absent from their home without the consent of the parent(s). Family Code, Chapter 31 provides a process by which a minor may petition a court to have their disabilites of minority removed. Running away is not a crime but if you are reported as missing and are identified by a law enforcement officer (through any means necessary), they are specifically required by law to follow the regulations and return you to your parents. Any person aiding a runaway can be charged with Harboring a Runaway Child.

Let me know if you have any questions...

elklaw
07-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Good advice in prior post. Other options are living with another relative or family member, going to DCS and saying I cannot live at home anymore and this is why I need another placement or to be emancipated, and talking with a school counselor to explore options and alternatives. But running away is not easy and may be harmful to you and hurtful to those who care about you. I encourage you to seek some counseling from a school counselor or social worker at DCF before doing anything to see if other alternatives can work. I am not sure moving in with a boyfriend is best at your age too since that sometimes is not what you think it is going to be.

tinker12345
02-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I am barely 17 years old, and my parents did like my boyfriend until they found out that I wanted to move in with him. Now they do whatever they can to keep me away from him. I mean they wont even let me e-mail him that is how crazy this is. I wanted to run away with him, but he is 20 and I do not want him to get into any kind of trouble so I would like to move in with my grandmother. How would I come by doing this? Because I take physical and emotional abuse every single day from my parents at home, and now they are wanting to move to another state with a new job, and I do not want to go. What would happen if I ran away to live with my grandmother? Would I get into alot of trouble also? What can they do to keep me at home with them.

JoeWolf
03-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Well I`ll be 17 at the end of April, and I wishing to move out and move in with a friend. But i need a read easy reading Document so I could move out and don`t have to deal with this trouble that my stepdad acts like a *** most of the time and i get in fights with my family cause they`re getting on my nevres.

So i need a copy of the document to show my mom that she could agree that i could move out, but i have nothing to show her, so i need one Soon, cause I`m going to go crazy here.

pty
03-12-2006, 09:02 PM
So i need a copy of the document to show my mom that she could agree that i could move out, but i have nothing to show her, so i need one Soon

I don't know what document you're talking about. If you're talking about emancipation, that's a legal process that you have to go through and a judge has to approve it.

pinktoxic
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
I've known this girl for about 6 years now, and throughout all the time I've known her, she's been pyshically abused aswell as mentally. She's been through CPS countless times, and throughout it all, they've done nothing to help. Her mother refused to let her goto school because she had a black eye, and didn't want them calling CPS again. She moved in with her grandmother, but her mother is still coming around and making her life miserable. She's been supporting herself for the past year or more, and we're currently working together. We found an apartment complex to move into together, and they want something signed from a parent stating that she can move out. Her mother and father refuse, and say that if she does move out, she'll either throw her in jail, and if not that, she'll put herself in jail because she'll:

Beat the **** of out her

The lawyer she had before isn't much help, and I'm only 20. Is there a way to get around this? Possibly make me her guardian? Please answer as soon as possible. I don't want anything to happen to my friend, and I'm afriad that's what's going to happen.

cbg
03-24-2006, 07:01 AM
And your friend is how old? YOu don't mention that.

pinktoxic
03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Oh, sorry, she's 17.

cbg
03-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Ain't no way a 20 year old guy is going to be made guardian of a 17 year old girl without the parent's consent.

pinktoxic
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm actually a girl, she's been a good friend of the family for years now.

mommyof4
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Whether you are male or female, the odds of a court ruling that you, at 20, be the guardian of a 17 year old are extrememly slim.

alenia
09-03-2008, 12:05 AM
hii well i im going to turn 17 in april and i really want to get out of
my parents house :( ilovethem very much but we moved towns about
a year ago and i hate itt very much i have been wanting to move out
ever since we moved here but i couldnt but some people say that at 17 you can and some people say u can't i just want the truth im going to finish high school this coming may and i want to go to college back in my hometown but my parents are telling me that i can not leave this house untill i am 18 can my parents really keep me from going to college that i want just cause i am 17 please tell me the truth with links iff u can oo and i live in texas if that helps at all please let me know asap

aleniaa(:

mommyof4
09-03-2008, 06:14 AM
hii well i im going to turn 17 in april and i really want to get out of
my parents house :( ilovethem very much but we moved towns about
a year ago and i hate itt very much i have been wanting to move out
ever since we moved here but i couldnt but some people say that at 17 you can and some people say u can't i just want the truth im going to finish high school this coming may and i want to go to college back in my hometown but my parents are telling me that i can not leave this house untill i am 18 can my parents really keep me from going to college that i want just cause i am 17 please tell me the truth with links iff u can oo and i live in texas if that helps at all please let me know asap

aleniaa(:
First, this was a dead thread. You should start your own thread.

Second, you will be 18 when you graduate, so I don't see what your problem is. Yes, your parents can require you to live at home until you are 18.

cbg
09-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Legally, unless you are 18, you live where your parents say you live.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements