PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Law of Florida

Red05Knight
08-20-2005, 04:01 AM
I work retail in Florida for a company called The Sports Authority, and was wondering if there was a scheduling law in Florida. I read somewhere that there is a law stating the schedule for the following week should be posted at least 5 days prior to the beginning of said week. (i.e., our week begins on Sunday, schedule needs to be up the prior Wednesday.)

Is that a law, or requirement, or such? Or is that determined according to the company? please let me know, as they wait until Saturday morning to put up the following week's schedule, and it's hard to request/trade days off or even make a doctor's appointment!

Thanks.

Pattymd
08-20-2005, 07:16 AM
To my knowledge, there is no such legal requirement in any state.

Red05Knight
08-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, then what about showing favoritism? I work with an elementary grade school teacher, and because she has another job, her availability has been followed to her request.

I, on the other hand, am being screwed because whatever she cannot work, I have to. I work 5 days a week, averaging 40-45 a week (I'm still young and can't really work more than that), but my hours are not what I requested. The apparel manager, my boss, sat me down about 2 weeks ago and asked for my availability. I gave that to her, but the funny thing is the days I requested off, and the shifts I requested I haven't been given. Not even once.

I have tried to talk to them about this, but they keep making the excuse that they are understaffed in apparel and that is their answer. They make department switches all the time (i.e., outdoor associates have been seen to work shifts in footwear), and I do not see a problem nor a difficulty in keeping a bunch of clothing racks looking nice. We are the only department who does not get any help.

I really hate this job, and I am looking for another, but it seems I'm stuck here until I can find something better.

Thanks for hearing me out; any advice would be wonderful. :confused: :mad:

Also, would contacting human resources or the equal opportunity offices do me any good?

Pattymd
08-21-2005, 06:57 AM
What you see as favoritism is not illegal, unless it is practiced because of race, ethnic identity, age, gender, etc. in which case the EEOC could become involved. Otherwise, it is legal even if it is poor mangement.

You can try going to HR, but it appears as though the line management is reacting to the changing needs of the business, about which they know much more than HR will.

Florida Labor Law Posters
Comply with Florida regulations with one Complete Florida Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.