PDA

View Full Version : 8 hour day - no lunch, no breaks?

specmich
09-24-2004, 11:06 AM
undefinedFor over 14 years I have been the only employee of a "Professional Association" (small business) in Texas. I work 8 hours a day with no lunch break (I eat at my desk, while working) and no breaks, except to go to the restroom. :eek: My employers told me since they are a small business, they can do whatever they want. No contracts have ever been signed. Is this true?

LConnell
09-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Texas does not mandate breaks or lunch periods. Neither does federal law. So, your employer is correct regarding meals and lunch periods. (The only thing that federal law does specify is that if the time off is less than 1/2 hour off, it must be paid time.)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sue
09-24-2004, 11:38 AM
undefinedFor over 14 years I have been the only employee of a "Professional Association" (small business) in Texas. I work 8 hours a day with no lunch break (I eat at my desk, while working) and no breaks, except to go to the restroom. :eek: My employers told me since they are a small business, they can do whatever they want. No contracts have ever been signed. Is this true?

Yes, unfortunately it is true.

There is no Federal law that mandates employers to give you rest and break times and there are no state law in Texas either.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Sue

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements