PDA

View Full Version : Can they force overtime?

mstracy37214
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I live in Ohio and I work at least 45 hours a week on an average, just normally. My question is my employer makes me work some weeks 6 days a week, some days make me stay 10 hours or does not give me a choice but to work on my day off. Some days I have no problem with this, however there are some days I can not, I have a family to also take care of. I am just looking for where I stand because they are telling me I have no choice.

LConnell
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Your employer can require you to work overtime.

mstracy37214
06-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Is there no limit of hours they can make you work????

LConnell
06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
There isn't any.

mstracy37214
06-07-2005, 11:06 AM
This is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. You mean to tell me that there is no limit to the hours an employer can make you work within a weeks time? If they want to make you work 12 to 24 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week that is alright?

LConnell
06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately, that is correct. There are a few exceptions, such as for certain industries (such as trucking), for minors and for mandated days of rest (in a few states, not Ohio). According to the DOL website at http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/faq.htm

How many hours per day or per week can an employee work?

The FLSA does not limit the number of hours per day or per week that employees aged 16 years and older can be required to work.

copegood
07-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I live in Ohio and I work at least 45 hours a week on an average, just normally. My question is my employer makes me work some weeks 6 days a week, some days make me stay 10 hours or does not give me a choice but to work on my day off. Some days I have no problem with this, however there are some days I can not, I have a family to also take care of. I am just looking for where I stand because they are telling me I have no choice.
I wanted to add that I also work in a place in Ohio that makes me work alot of overtime. Some weeks we doent get a day off. They change our hours on us all the time, we work 10 hours a day 7 days a week then the next week we work 8 hour days. We have mandatory meetings afterwork that we must attend or we get points for not going. They will promise us a weekend off then at the last minute change there mind and make us work. I know how you feel, I am mad as heck about my job. They can work you 12 hours a dat 7 days a week if they want to, but nothing over 12 per day..I was told. Where do you work? Is it a factory??

robb71
07-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I am not aware of a cap on hours worked. Ultimately neither Federal nor Ohio has made provision restricting the number of hours worked per day or week. In theory, an employer could require 24/7 shifts. It's not likely, but possible. The only exceptions are if a bonafide employment contract or CBA (union) exist or where industry specific (i.e. airline pilots) regulations apply. If you are a union member, your union rep should be able to answer questions about your CBA.

Useful link:
http://wagehour.bes.state.oh.us/w3/webwh.nsf/allbykey/6CFCC1A6DA87D5A585256618004A5489

cbg
07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Copegood, it's unlikely that you'll hear back from the first poster, who left that message over a year ago.

It is NOT correct that you cannot be required to work over 12 hours in a day unless you have a binding contract or CBA that says so. NO state puts a cap on the number of hours that can be worked per day (other than the exceptions Robb mentioned) and only two states have laws addressing the number of hours that can be required in a week or a pay period; Ohio is neither of them.

Ohio Labor Law Posters
Comply with Ohio regulations with one Complete Ohio Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.