PDA

View Full Version : arizona vacation laws

joannam
06-02-2005, 05:18 AM
I am a full-time employee, and have currently accrued a couple weeks of vacation time. I put in a request for a week off a couple weeks ago, as per our employer's policy, and am scheduled for a week of paid vacation the week after next. However, I have been looking for other employment and may very possibly have a new job. If I were to get this job and put in my two week notice, the second week of the two week period would be the vacation. If I inform them that I will be quitting, do they still hae to pay me for that last week, which would actually be vacation time? Also, I was curious if the fact that the company I work for is based out of Dallas would affect which stat's labor laws I sahould pay attention to. Thanks!

unionwayne
06-02-2005, 07:57 AM
I am a full-time employee, and have currently accrued a couple weeks of vacation time. I put in a request for a week off a couple weeks ago, as per our employer's policy, and am scheduled for a week of paid vacation the week after next. However, I have been looking for other employment and may very possibly have a new job. If I were to get this job and put in my two week notice, the second week of the two week period would be the vacation. If I inform them that I will be quitting, do they still hae to pay me for that last week, which would actually be vacation time? Also, I was curious if the fact that the company I work for is based out of Dallas would affect which stat's labor laws I sahould pay attention to. Thanks!

There are no federal laws regarding payment of unused vacation time upon resignation. Some states do have laws, but I doubt that Arizona is one of those, due to the fact that AZ is a "right to work for less" state. Nonetheless, you may want to check with the AZ Dept. of Labor here: http://www.afscme.org/otherlnk/weblnk29.htm.

elklaw
06-02-2005, 01:52 PM
As a practical matter, I think it not wise to announce you are going to the other job until after your vacation time has been taken and is over. I read about too many people having trouble getting their vacation pay when they leave when all they have to do is use some common sense and bit the impulse to give a lot of notice because a lot of employers terminate them immediately to avoid having to pay them that last check and to cut out any type of pay they are eligible for.

Arizona Labor Law Posters
Comply with Arizona regulations with one Complete Arizona Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.