PDA

View Full Version : Is unemployment benefit a public charge?

Joachim Feise
08-25-2003, 08:36 AM
LC wrote:
Is unemployment benefit a public charge in the state of New Hampshire? I heard that it should be an employer paid insurance. However, it is run by the state and it does seem to be an income supplement program. Can an EAD holder collect UB without any negative repercussion to his/her emplyment based AOS?

Unemployment benefits are not public benefits. They are paid for by the
employer. The states just administer the program.
To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you generally have to have
permission to work anywhere. With an EAD, you have such a work
permission. You may want to check with your state's unemployment offices,
though.
There are of course issues with a pending AOS. After all, you need an
employer to sponsor the GC. You should talk to an immigration lawyer ASAP.

-Joe

S B
08-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Joachim Feise wrote:
LC wrote:
Is unemployment benefit a public charge in the state of New Hampshire? I heard that it should be an employer paid insurance. However, it is run by the state and it does seem to be an income supplement program. Can an EAD holder collect UB without any negative repercussion to his/her emplyment based AOS? Unemployment benefits are not public benefits. They are paid for by the employer. The states just administer the program. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you generally have to have permission to work anywhere. With an EAD, you have such a work permission. You may want to check with your state's unemployment offices, though. There are of course issues with a pending AOS. After all, you need an employer to sponsor the GC. You should talk to an immigration lawyer ASAP. -Joe

Correct ... it is not a public charge, but it is considered as evidence
that you don't have enough money to support yourself, which could
violate other conditions of your stay in the US.

LC
08-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm asking this question because a colleague of
mine has a different opinion. Our employer has already filed I-140 and I-486
for us a couple of months ago. Ours is a Fortune-500 company. The business
condition of the department we are in is that we might soon be laid off for
a period of time. The employer promised to hire us back when business picks
up again. Anyway they promised not to withdraw our I-140 petitions. We
already have our EAD cards so we are free to find another job. I just
wondered if we were laid off for six months and then hired back by the same
company or if we were to find another job all together, could we get UB to
help out the six month laid off time?

TIA

"Joachim Feise" <reply@the.newsgroup> wrote in message
news:bidade$1fk$1@news.service.uci.edu...
LC wrote:
Is unemployment benefit a public charge in the state of New Hampshire? I heard that it should be an employer paid insurance. However, it is run
by
the state and it does seem to be an income supplement program. Can an
EAD
holder collect UB without any negative repercussion to his/her emplyment based AOS? Unemployment benefits are not public benefits. They are paid for by the employer. The states just administer the program. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you generally have to have permission to work anywhere. With an EAD, you have such a work permission. You may want to check with your state's unemployment offices, though. There are of course issues with a pending AOS. After all, you need an employer to sponsor the GC. You should talk to an immigration lawyer ASAP. -Joe

observer
08-26-2003, 10:23 AM
No. UI benefit is only legal alien and US citizen only. If you are legal
resident and lay-off due to lack of business, then you would qualify UI
benefit (6~9 months) as long as you are unemployed.

"LC" <LC@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
news:a4z2b.3314$Xw6.1740@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
Thanks for the response. I'm asking this question because a colleague of mine has a different opinion. Our employer has already filed I-140 and
I-486
for us a couple of months ago. Ours is a Fortune-500 company. The business condition of the department we are in is that we might soon be laid off
for
a period of time. The employer promised to hire us back when business
picks
up again. Anyway they promised not to withdraw our I-140 petitions. We already have our EAD cards so we are free to find another job. I just wondered if we were laid off for six months and then hired back by the
same
company or if we were to find another job all together, could we get UB to help out the six month laid off time? TIA "Joachim Feise" <reply@the.newsgroup> wrote in message news:bidade$1fk$1@news.service.uci.edu...
LC wrote:
Is unemployment benefit a public charge in the state of New Hampshire?
I
heard that it should be an employer paid insurance. However, it is run by
the state and it does seem to be an income supplement program. Can an EAD
holder collect UB without any negative repercussion to his/her
emplyment
based AOS? Unemployment benefits are not public benefits. They are paid for by the employer. The states just administer the program. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you generally have to have permission to work anywhere. With an EAD, you have such a work permission. You may want to check with your state's unemployment
offices,
though. There are of course issues with a pending AOS. After all, you need an employer to sponsor the GC. You should talk to an immigration lawyer
ASAP.
-Joe

observer
08-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Where am I wrong?

"S B" <s_brook.nothere@not.here.for.spam.att.canada.ca> wrote in message
news:3F4E2899.624E75B5@not.here.for.spam.att.canad a.ca...
observer wrote:
No. UI benefit is only legal alien and US citizen only. If you are legal resident and lay-off due to lack of business, then you would qualify UI benefit (6~9 months) as long as you are unemployed. Wrong. UI Benefits are available to those ready willing and able to work. It is not available to *most* non-immigrants because at the time of application they are not legally able to work. However, if you have an EAD, you ARE legally able to work and therefore able to get UI, providing you remain in status.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements