PDA

View Full Version : 17 in Georgia, need to move out

Lonesome
05-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I live in Douglasville, Georgia. My parents are giving me a very hard time at home and I was wondering if I can move out of the house without their permission. And if I do, what will happen? I have a great job and I get paid really good, the place I wanna go to is very safe and is a lot bigger and better, I'll actually get my own room, I must get out of here, whatever it takes! Please help! :o

elklaw
05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
You have a few options. Move out and in with relatives or family friends with your parents' permission. Or if you have a grandparent or adult you can live with, ask your parents to let them become your legal guardian. Or you would need to apply to become an emancipated minor though Georgia has no law in place for this.
Info on the emancipated minor process
http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/emancipation_of_minors/index.shtml
http://www.jlc.org/home/mediacenter/factsheets/emancipUSA.html#g

hOpElEsSlY iN lOvE
06-18-2005, 11:35 AM
in GA ur a legal adult at 17..

Lexie07
06-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I turned 16 in march and my boyfriend turned 20 on june 6th. I live with my grandparents and they highly disapprove of us being together however my mom has legal custody of me and she doesn't care if we are together. I'm wanting to move out of my granparents and move in with him in a couple of months does anybody know if that is legal or how i would go about doing that in the state of Kansas?

PLEASE HELP!!
:confused: Lexie :confused:

ACc083
06-18-2005, 03:19 PM
I wanted to make a quick correction...

In response to the reply posted by "hopelessly in love", there isn't a single state in the United States that considers a 17 year old a "legal" adult. You must be at least 18 in all 50 states to qualify as a legal adult.

citrusdrop1688
11-08-2005, 03:07 PM
yes, 18 to be a legal adult. But in georgia at 17 you can move out, not being concidered a runaway, and u get arrested and charged as an adult

Kendall
11-08-2005, 09:49 PM
This is directed towards Citrusdrop...

in georgia, you can move out and not be considered a runaway or get arrested?

Kendall
11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
You have a few options. Move out and in with relatives or family friends with your parents' permission. Or if you have a grandparent or adult you can live with, ask your parents to let them become your legal guardian. Or you would need to apply to become an emancipated minor though Georgia has no law in place for this.
Info on the emancipated minor process
http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/emancipation_of_minors/index.shtml
http://www.jlc.org/home/mediacenter/factsheets/emancipUSA.html#g

Actually, you CAN get emancipated in Georgia.
http://www.youthcommunication-vox.org/301pg10.htm
^^ a few success stories.

citrusdrop1688
11-09-2005, 11:25 AM
yes. in georgia, if u r 17, then u can move out and ur parents cant do anything. I know. I did it. My parents went to the police, they tried to file a report. They were told that at 17 i WAS the age of majority, and if they had comunicated with me, and knew that i wasnt in danger or a missing person, there was nothing that they could do.

Kendall
11-09-2005, 01:58 PM
yes. in georgia, if u r 17, then u can move out and ur parents cant do anything. I know. I did it. My parents went to the police, they tried to file a report. They were told that at 17 i WAS the age of majority, and if they had comunicated with me, and knew that i wasnt in danger or a missing person, there was nothing that they could do.

Oh wow, what a relief that is to know. I have been saving up the money on getting emacipated. [I living in Cumming, and I'm moving to Midtown Atlanta which does go over too well in this town]. A few people told me that I was able to do that at 17, I just wasn't completley sure. Thanks so much.

ACc083
11-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Georgia

I need to make a few corrections to some of the previous posts. For the most part, a lot of the information that has been provided is incorrect.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that an officer told him/his parents that he was at the age of majority at 17. That is incorrect. Title 39 Section 1-1 states that the legal age of majority is 18 and that all persons under the age of 18 are considered minors. Considering this information, any minor that voluntarily leaves the care and control of their parents without the intent to return and without their parents permission can be reported as a missing child or runaway child. All missing children and runaway children will be entered into the National Crime Information Center.

According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, there are no laws that prohibit a peace officer from taking protective custody of a runaway child or missing child and returning that child to the person entitled to their possession. Therefore, a peace officer may take possession of a 17-year old, unemancipated, runaway child and return them to their parents. All such decisions are at the discretion of the agency making the report.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that there is nothing a parent can do when their child runs away. That is incorrect. Although immediate action is at the discretion of the agency locating a missing child/runaway child, there is legal recourse for the parent of that child. A parent may petition an appropriate court for the return of their runaway child.

Take the information for what it is worth. Any person who believes that this information is incorrect may contact the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and speak to someone in the Georgia Missing Children Center Division.

sweetchick
11-18-2005, 07:49 AM
okie dokie ive heard alot of things about the legal age to move out you can get amancapated but honestly its to much work cost money and the judges need a real good reason to agree to that my friend spent all that money and went to court and he turned her down..... one of my other friends said she called the police and they told her 17 was the age but they didnt say if it was with the concent of the parents or not if anyone knows the true facts on this issue if you wouldnt mind e mail me or im me at sweet2knownluv@yahoo.com thanx
crystal
...ps ive heard so many things even from a counslur at school she said they changed the law and you had to be 18 but i dont know im so confused honesty is it worth all this work just to move out a year early when you got it made in the shade

ACc083
11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showpost.php?p=432086&postcount=11

garedneck4life
02-15-2006, 07:18 PM
is it LEGAL to move out of ur parents house at age 17

pty
02-15-2006, 08:58 PM

ACc gave a very detailed and accurate response to this question. No matter how many times the question is asked, the answer is still the same. You are NOT an adult at 17, and you cannot legally leave home without parent consent or emancipation.

Georgia

I need to make a few corrections to some of the previous posts. For the most part, a lot of the information that has been provided is incorrect.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that an officer told him/his parents that he was at the age of majority at 17. That is incorrect. Title 39 Section 1-1 states that the legal age of majority is 18 and that all persons under the age of 18 are considered minors. Considering this information, any minor that voluntarily leaves the care and control of their parents without the intent to return and without their parents permission can be reported as a missing child or runaway child. All missing children and runaway children will be entered into the National Crime Information Center.

According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, there are no laws that prohibit a peace officer from taking protective custody of a runaway child or missing child and returning that child to the person entitled to their possession. Therefore, a peace officer may take possession of a 17-year old, unemancipated, runaway child and return them to their parents. All such decisions are at the discretion of the agency making the report.

"Citrusdrop1688" stated that there is nothing a parent can do when their child runs away. That is incorrect. Although immediate action is at the discretion of the agency locating a missing child/runaway child, there is legal recourse for the parent of that child. A parent may petition an appropriate court for the return of their runaway child.

ceara
02-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Before ANYONE even thinks about taking this statement as truth, read the posters name. I think that really says it all!

Jackson16
03-24-2006, 02:35 PM
My girlfriend is 17 and she wants an emancipation. her parents are really crazy ans shes afraid of what will happen if she gets denied. If that happens, is there anything she can do about it. The tend to keep her away from everyone, even school. During trial would she be able to stay with a friend atleast until the trial is over? I need some answers ASAP.Thanx

farsideofdarkness17
04-17-2006, 09:24 PM

In response to the reply posted by "hopelessly in love", there isn't a single state in the United States that considers a 17 year old a "legal" adult. You must be at least 18 in all 50 states to qualify as a legal adult.

Actually in GA your considered an adult at 17 in several matters. For example, at age 17 you can be tried as an adult for drug possession, in Alabama that age is 16. So yes you can be a "legal" adult in some instances at the age of 17.

pty
04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
at age 17 you can be tried as an adult for drug possession

This is true, but just because you can be charged as an adult if you commit a crime doesn't mean that you ARE an adult or that you have the rights of an adult. They are two entirely different things.

Ga_Chick101
04-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I live in Ga. I am 17 years old(be 18 in Dec.). I'm tired of living with my dad. We dont get along that much. Everything i do he always has to have a imput. And ever since i have moved in with him. I have been really really unhappy. And i have been living with him for 2 years now. I have a great long term relationship with my 22 year old boyfriend. I want to move in with him but i dont know if i can. I want to just leave with out my dad knowing. cuz if i told him he would flip out. I have a good job, that pays well. And i am still in school. And will still stay that way if i can move out. My boyfriend has a job of his own and a home with his brother and his girlfriend. So i wont be the only girl there. If you can help me plz do. I cant stand to be unhappy any longer. Thank you.

cbg
04-26-2006, 02:30 PM
When you are 18 you can live wherever you want. Until then, unless you have Dad's permission or you are emancipated by a court, you stay where you are. And I promise you, no court is going to emancipate you so that you can go live with your 22 year old boyfriend.

ceara
04-27-2006, 07:43 AM
When you are 18 you can live wherever you want. Until then, unless you have Dad's permission or you are emancipated by a court, you stay where you are. And I promise you, no court is going to emancipate you so that you can go live with your 22 year old boyfriend.

Not only will the emancipation not be granted under these terms, but it is doubtful that the case would even be heard before she turned 18.

Dawn Haase
04-27-2006, 10:46 AM
In Ga. you can move out at 17 without your parents permission if you are going to live with someone 18 or older since you can't get lights ect in our name. If you have someone you can move in with then talk to the people about it. Just remeber to finish getting your education so that you can make your life better.

ceara
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
In Ga. you can move out at 17 without your parents permission if you are going to live with someone 18 or older since you can't get lights ect in our name. If you have someone you can move in with then talk to the people about it. Just remeber to finish getting your education so that you can make your life better.

No you can't! If you really believe that you can, feel free to point out the law that specifically states that you can.

Georgia doesn't even have emancipation laws that would allow a 17 year old to be considered an adult as far as I know.

Plus, moving in with someone over the age of 18 will leave that person open to being charged with harboring a runaway and contributing to the delinquency of a minor among other things.

PLEASE check the actual LAWS before you relay information in the future. Just because you heard that it legal from a friend, or even a police officer, does not make it true. Police officers are there to enforce and uphold the laws, not interpret them.

Michael18il
04-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I left home at 15 because my parents were abusive. They reported me as a runaway; however, most police agencies (at least the ones in the Chicago-land area) don't really make an effort to track down runaways. If you runaway and don't want be found odds are you won't. I must say that living in your own is very tough; few people in the world care about what happens to you. If you are resilient and determined to leave it CAN be done. I am now 18, I graduated from high school and I am in my sophomore year at Northwestern University.

ceara
04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
I left home at 15 because my parents were abusive. They reported me as a runaway; however, most police agencies (at least the ones in the Chicago-land area) don't really make an effort to track down runaways. If you runaway and don't want be found odds are you won't. I must say that living in your own is very tough; few people in the world care about what happens to you. If you are resilient and determined to leave it CAN be done. I am now 18, I graduated from high school and I am in my sophomore year at Northwestern University.

Michael, check your private messages.

shantella
04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
sign up for low income housing we may be able to assist you http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lowincome-section8-housing-assistance/[

QUOTE=Lonesome]I live in Douglasville, Georgia. My parents are giving me a very hard time at home and I was wondering if I can move out of the house without their permission. And if I do, what will happen? I have a great job and I get paid really good, the place I wanna go to is very safe and is a lot bigger and better, I'll actually get my own room, I must get out of here, whatever it takes! Please help! :o[/QUOTE]

shantella
04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
I turned 16 in march and my boyfriend turned 20 on june 6th. I live with my grandparents and they highly disapprove of us being together however my mom has legal custody of me and she doesn't care if we are together. I'm wanting to move out of my granparents and move in with him in a couple of months does anybody know if that is legal or how i would go about doing that in the state of Kansas?

PLEASE HELP!!
:confused: Lexie :confused:
sign up for low income housing we may be able to assist you http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lowincome-section8-housing-assistance/[

mommyof4
04-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Please do not advise minors to try to find some way to break the law. As they are not at least 18, they cannot sign up for any type of housing or government benefits on their own.

shantella
04-27-2006, 06:42 PM
That minor might had a birthday and might now be of legal age now
and I am not advising any one to break the law, this message is for all that seeks low income housing

Please do not advise minors to try to find some way to break the law. As they are not at least 18, they cannot sign up for any type of housing or government benefits on their own.

ceara
04-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Most low income housing programs require the applicant to be 18 or over.

mommyof4
04-27-2006, 06:49 PM
That minor might had a birthday and might now be of legal age now
and I am not advising any one to break the law, this message is for all that seeks low income housing
I seriously doubt that if that minor was only 16 or 17 a few days ago, they are 18 today.

shantella
04-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I seriously doubt that if that minor was only 16 or 17 a few days ago, they are 18 today.
okay sorry i dint pay the date any attention lol :D

Michael18il
04-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Michael, check your private messages.

you are correct, i am not exactly sure of the circumstances; moreover, neither are you. if her parents are putting her in danger or threatening her immediate safety then she should leave, regardless of what the laws state. i think if u were to advise anyone to stay in an unsafe environment maybe you are the one with poor judgment. FYI sometimes common sense and street smarts take precedence over the law, especially when the law is poorly enforced and/or fails to protect people. i also wouldn't recommend that she contact children and family services. as a former ward of the state i can attest the fact that more often than not group and foster homes are more unsafe than living in the streets. the staff who operate these homes are often physically and verbally abusive, not to mention, the other children are often violent criminals. you may have an education, but obviously you lack first hand experience.

p.s. i will not remove my previous comment.

ceara
04-27-2006, 08:12 PM
you are correct, i am not exactly sure of the circumstances; moreover, neither are you. if her parents are putting her in danger or threatening her immediate safety then she should leave, regardless of what the laws state. i think if u were to advise anyone to stay in an unsafe environment maybe you are the one with poor judgment. FYI sometimes common sense and street smarts take precedence over the law, especially when the law is poorly enforced and/or fails to protect people. i also wouldn't recommend that she contact children and family services. as a former ward of the state i can attest the fact that more often than not group and foster homes are more unsafe than living in the streets. the staff who operate these homes are often physically and verbally abusive, not to mention, the other children are often violent criminals. you may have an education, but obviously you lack first hand experience.

p.s. i will not remove my previous comment.

It makes absolutely no difference what the situation is, you CANNOT advise a person to intentionally break the law. I was giving you the chance to remove your post as opposed to reporting it to the site administrators. I thought you would rather remove one stupid comment then risk being banned from posting all together, but I guess I have my answer to that question!

Michael18il
04-27-2006, 08:51 PM
do as your conscious dictates.

ceara
04-27-2006, 09:27 PM
do as your conscious dictates.

You left home and did fine on your own and now you are getting an education to give yourself a better life. All of those things point to the fact that you have shown a very mature level of sense of responsibility. But, by advising someone to break the law, it shows you still have alot of growing up to do. Even if the person were in an abusive situation, which by their own admission, it's not, the best advice is to notify the authorities. By running away instead, the teenager lessens his or her chance of being listened to when they are caught by the authorities (which, contrary to YOUR personal experience, happens more often then not.)

Not only is it irresponsible, following your advice can put a person in danger when they are not prepared to take care of themselves, which this person is NOT able to do. She wants to live with her 22 YEAR OLD BOYFRIEND, not on her own.

Michael18il
04-27-2006, 10:04 PM
You left home and did fine on your own and now you are getting an education to give yourself a better life. All of those things point to the fact that you have shown a very mature level of sense of responsibility. But, by advising someone to break the law, it shows you still have alot of growing up to do. Even if the person were in an abusive situation, which by their own admission, it's not, the best advice is to notify the authorities. By running away instead, the teenager lessens his or her chance of being listened to when they are caught by the authorities (which, contrary to YOUR personal experience, happens more often then not.)

Not only is it irresponsible, following your advice can put a person in danger when they are not prepared to take care of themselves, which this person is NOT able to do. She wants to live with her 22 YEAR OLD BOYFRIEND, not on her own.

i wasn't aware she wanted to live with her bf. needless to say,
i can't speak for the georgia authorities. i can, however, speak from personal experience.

on a tangential note: it isn't my lack of age that persuades me to break the law or advise others to do so, it is the laws' ineffectiveness and/or its impingement on what i personally find palatable. I am by no means instructing people to follow in my footsteps; however, i am promoting control over one's life and destiny-a trait, which over the years, has been subliminally silenced. people should ALWAYS act as their conscious dictates not as their government instructs them. undiscerning of age, race, and sex etc. people have choice. i am proud to say that i am not a subdued by the state's policies nor am i the product of my biological forerunner's parenting. i refuse to stand for what makes me unhappy less it impede on the free will of my fellow man. i am my own person.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Buddha

* i am sorry i am getting so philosophical, but i felt i needed to defend my maturity and wisdom.

pty
04-28-2006, 06:28 AM
it isn't my lack of age that persuades me to break the law or advise others to do so, it is the laws' ineffectiveness and/or its impingement on what i personally find palatable. I am by no means instructing people to follow in my footsteps; however, i am promoting control over one's life and destiny-a trait, which over the years, has been subliminally silenced. people should ALWAYS act as their conscious dictates not as their government instructs them. undiscerning of age, race, and sex etc. people have choice. i am proud to say that i am not a subdued by the state's policies nor am i the product of my biological forerunner's parenting. i refuse to stand for what makes me unhappy less it impede on the free will of my fellow man. i am my own person.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Buddha

* i am sorry i am getting so philosophical, but i felt i needed to defend my maturity and wisdom.

No matter how you try to justify it, it was extremely poor advice that in my opinion showed neither maturity nor wisdom. As citizens, we dont get to ignore the laws, and I shudder to think what society would be like if that were the case. If we have a problem, we get to work within the law to resolve it, and if we dont like the laws, we get to appeal to the lawmakers to change them.

By giving minors advice such as you have, you are putting them in a potentially dangerous situation in so many ways. They could, and likely will, end up facing legal consequences (and when he/she is standing in front of judge, the excuse of "Michael told me to do it" isnt going to fly), not to mention the danger of finding themselves in a situation where they are doing without food, proper clothing, shelter, medical care, educationand the really unlucky ones end up involved in crime or DEAD. The ones that 'move in' with an adult boyfriend/girlfriend all too often find themselves trapped in relationships that eventually became abusive or unhealthy in some way.

Its utterly ridiculous to tell a minor not to contact the proper authorities when there is abuse. Granted, there are indeed some foster homes that are less than idea, but certainly not ALL foster homes. I know several people who are foster parents. They do a wonderful job, and the children are well taken care of and very happy.

And before you tell me that I lack first hand experience, I DONT. I grew up with an alcoholic, abusive stepfather and this was 20+ years ago when basically you couldnt get any help even if you tried. There are people (including myself) that advocated for YEARS for changes so that there is help for those (be they minors or adults) in abusive situations. So frankly it pisses me off that help is now available and there are people such as yourself advising others not to seek it.

mommyof4
04-28-2006, 09:22 AM
i wasn't aware she wanted to live with her bf. needless to say,
i can't speak for the georgia authorities. i can, however, speak from personal experience.

on a tangential note: it isn't my lack of age that persuades me to break the law or advise others to do so, it is the laws' ineffectiveness and/or its impingement on what i personally find palatable. I am by no means instructing people to follow in my footsteps; however, i am promoting control over one's life and destiny-a trait, which over the years, has been subliminally silenced. people should ALWAYS act as their conscious dictates not as their government instructs them. undiscerning of age, race, and sex etc. people have choice. i am proud to say that i am not a subdued by the state's policies nor am i the product of my biological forerunner's parenting. i refuse to stand for what makes me unhappy less it impede on the free will of my fellow man. i am my own person.

No it is your lack of common sense that propels you to advise others to break the law. Whether you like it or not, no matter what "higher opinion" you hold, you CANNOT break the law. You cannot compel others to break the law. If you perform the illegal act you are contemplating (yes, having sex with your minor boyfriend IS illegal) try explaining to the judge that your conscience was okay with it, therefore, the laws have no meaning or authority according to your personal philoshopy. What do you think the response will be? I would hazzard to guess that you would get the stiffest penalty allowed by law, because not only did you blatantly defy the laws, you would have just admitted that you have no remorse and may be a person that is a potential continuing threat to society. But, I bet that your philosophy only holds up when you are not facing charges and jail.

Michael18il
04-28-2006, 02:09 PM
your are entiled to your own beliefs. i have common sense it just differs from your own. i am not afraid of the law and there are certain laws that i will not follow regardless of the punishment. law holds no meaning or authority over me. i act as i choose. after all what is the worst that can be done? persecution? death? those are but fears of the flesh. the mind and spirit are always free.

as for engaging in adult behaviors with my "minor" boyfriend: i am choosing to abstain not because of the law, but out of respect for him.

your words of anger and insult are meaningless to me; however, i respect all of your opinions. out of courtesy i will no longer advise anyone to do anything, but i will, from time to time, state how i would handle the situation. my apologies to anyone who i may have insulted.

Michael18il
04-28-2006, 02:29 PM
No matter how you try to justify it, it was extremely poor advice that in my opinion showed neither maturity nor wisdom. As citizens, we dont get to ignore the laws, and I shudder to think what society would be like if that were the case. If we have a problem, we get to work within the law to resolve it, and if we dont like the laws, we get to appeal to the lawmakers to change them.

By giving minors advice such as you have, you are putting them in a potentially dangerous situation in so many ways. They could, and likely will, end up facing legal consequences (and when he/she is standing in front of judge, the excuse of "Michael told me to do it" isnt going to fly), not to mention the danger of finding themselves in a situation where they are doing without food, proper clothing, shelter, medical care, educationand the really unlucky ones end up involved in crime or DEAD. The ones that 'move in' with an adult boyfriend/girlfriend all too often find themselves trapped in relationships that eventually became abusive or unhealthy in some way.

Its utterly ridiculous to tell a minor not to contact the proper authorities when there is abuse. Granted, there are indeed some foster homes that are less than idea, but certainly not ALL foster homes. I know several people who are foster parents. They do a wonderful job, and the children are well taken care of and very happy.

And before you tell me that I lack first hand experience, I DONT. I grew up with an alcoholic, abusive stepfather and this was 20+ years ago when basically you couldnt get any help even if you tried. There are people (including myself) that advocated for YEARS for changes so that there is help for those (be they minors or adults) in abusive situations. So frankly it pisses me off that help is now available and there are people such as yourself advising others not to seek it.

that is absurd! humanity is scared and people are not the subjects of their government, the government is the possession of the people. you are a coward and a sheep. society's laws are designed not for the safety of all, but the advancement of those who are "elite". the authorities are concerned with monetary gain not helping others. it is a pity that you lobbied for such changes, for they were only in vain. there is a nasty and volatile storm brewing within this country. no man has the right to control another. the societal scourges are not the of their own creation but the product of control and repression.

pty
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
that is absurd! humanity is scared and people are not the subjects of their government, the government is the possession of the people. you are a coward and a sheep. society's laws are designed not for the safety of all, but the advancement of those who are "elite". the authorities are concerned with monetary gain not helping others. it is a pity that you lobbied for such changes, for they were only in vain. there is a nasty and volatile storm brewing within this country. no man has the right to control another. the societal scourges are not the of their own creation but the product of control and repression.

Thats the biggest pile of bullsh*t Ive ever heard in my life, and Ive heard a lot of bullsh*t.

Yes, it is such a pity that I lobbied for these changes. I suppose youd rather go back to the days when if a man beat his wife, the police response was "we dont get involved in domestic situations" and LEFT so that he could beat her some more while the children locked themselves in the bathroom and listened to the screams and the begging. Somehow, that seems far from humane to me.

Personally I think your opinions are absurd. However, this is America and you have a right to believe anything you want, no matter how absurd it is. I can only hope that your idiotic advice doesnt screw up someones life beyond repair.

xxbig-redxx
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
:confused: i was kicked out of my house 4 months ago and i still talk to my mom off and on we fight on the phone 96% of the time but here is the thing i have been in my relationship for just as long and i am staying with my grandmother and my boyfriends mom and dad are not together he lives with his dad and we go and see his mom alot well this last time she asked if we wanted to move to G.A. her he said only if i go and i want to go but if i leave and go live with them when i turn 17 {cause that is when they are going to move is a couple of weeks later} will i still get charged as a runaway even if my mom kicked me out and said she didnt want me anymore i really want to go and live with them but i dont want them to get charged with anything so can i move without my mom saying yes :confused:

ceara
05-02-2006, 07:47 AM
:confused: i was kicked out of my house 4 months ago and i still talk to my mom off and on we fight on the phone 96% of the time but here is the thing i have been in my relationship for just as long and i am staying with my grandmother and my boyfriends mom and dad are not together he lives with his dad and we go and see his mom alot well this last time she asked if we wanted to move to G.A. her he said only if i go and i want to go but if i leave and go live with them when i turn 17 {cause that is when they are going to move is a couple of weeks later} will i still get charged as a runaway even if my mom kicked me out and said she didnt want me anymore i really want to go and live with them but i dont want them to get charged with anything so can i move without my mom saying yes :confused:

No, even though she kicked you out, you shouldn't leave the state without her permission. You need to call Child Protection Services and report your mother. She is legally obligated to provide for you until you turn 18 or you are emancipated. If she reports you as a runaway, then yes you will be picked up and returned.

TaraKilgore
05-05-2006, 02:52 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I am 19 and I am dating a guy that is 17 he will be 18 october 19, 2006 his grandmother has legal guardianship over him. he has a 15 yr old sister who has ruynaway numerous times. till eventually there gma on their moms side took custody of her. . before i came into his life he had a serious depression problem and he cut is wrists. he would never report her for mental abuse because his grandfather was there and very sick. his grandfater went into the hospital sometime before last october.my bf left home and came to georgia on october 27, 2005. she reported him as a runaway. he talked with her and secided to go home beacuse his grandfater got really sick and they didn't think that he was going to make it. his grandfather passed away on 1/25/06 on 1/28/06 him and i returned to his grandmothers in las vegas.i lived in the home with my bf and his gma from 1/28/06 till 4/25/06 she did nothing but cuss him and talk down to him and make his life terrible. she had never met me till then and never met my family as of today but she talked about my family like they were trash called me all kinds of thing. told him he was nothing but a problem to her and that he was nothing but a stubborn ******* like his grandfather. so on 4/25/06 we left and came back to georgia again she reported him as a runaway. an officer came to my house and picked him up on 5/01/06. he is in our ydc-youth detention center as i speak. i don't know the laws of georgia nor do i know the laws of neveda but i do know this
MISSING CHILDREN

Missing juveniles are classified as voluntary, abducted by parent, abducted by stranger, or cause of disappearance unknown.

A Runaway child is considered by to be a voluntary missing juvenile.

A runaway child is always 'at risk" and demands prompt attention by law enforcement. Therefore, Police are empowered under the law to take a runaway child into "protective custody," but the child CANNOT be placed into a lockdown facility or juvenile detention center. Being a runaway is NOT A CRIME - only a "status offense."

When police find a runaway child, they can take the child home or to the nearest runaway youth shelter. The runaway shelter in Clark County is WESTCARE YOUTH CENTER at 401 S. Martin Luther King Boulevard (385-2020).

Police CANNOT make a "forced entry' into a private home to recover a runaway child, unless the child is in danger or life-threatening situation. Police, however, can assist parents when a runaway is uncooperative or there is a risk of violence.

that is straight from a lasvegas juvenile detective. i really need some guidance here i know that he wants to get emancipated here i don't know any laws about if you can help please contact me at princesspeaches082786@yahoo.com he has only got till 10/19/06 then he is 18.

ceara
05-05-2006, 03:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I am 19 and I am dating a guy that is 17 he will be 18 october 19, 2006 his grandmother has legal guardianship over him. he has a 15 yr old sister who has ruynaway numerous times. till eventually there gma on their moms side took custody of her. . before i came into his life he had a serious depression problem and he cut is wrists. he would never report her for mental abuse because his grandfather was there and very sick. his grandfater went into the hospital sometime before last october.my bf left home and came to georgia on october 27, 2005. she reported him as a runaway. he talked with her and secided to go home beacuse his grandfater got really sick and they didn't think that he was going to make it. his grandfather passed away on 1/25/06 on 1/28/06 him and i returned to his grandmothers in las vegas.i lived in the home with my bf and his gma from 1/28/06 till 4/25/06 she did nothing but cuss him and talk down to him and make his life terrible. she had never met me till then and never met my family as of today but she talked about my family like they were trash called me all kinds of thing. told him he was nothing but a problem to her and that he was nothing but a stubborn ******* like his grandfather. so on 4/25/06 we left and came back to georgia again she reported him as a runaway. an officer came to my house and picked him up on 5/01/06. he is in our ydc-youth detention center as i speak. i don't know the laws of georgia nor do i know the laws of neveda but i do know this
MISSING CHILDREN

Missing juveniles are classified as voluntary, abducted by parent, abducted by stranger, or cause of disappearance unknown.

A Runaway child is considered by to be a voluntary missing juvenile.

A runaway child is always 'at risk" and demands prompt attention by law enforcement. Therefore, Police are empowered under the law to take a runaway child into "protective custody," but the child CANNOT be placed into a lockdown facility or juvenile detention center. Being a runaway is NOT A CRIME - only a "status offense."

When police find a runaway child, they can take the child home or to the nearest runaway youth shelter. The runaway shelter in Clark County is WESTCARE YOUTH CENTER at 401 S. Martin Luther King Boulevard (385-2020).

Police CANNOT make a "forced entry' into a private home to recover a runaway child, unless the child is in danger or life-threatening situation. Police, however, can assist parents when a runaway is uncooperative or there is a risk of violence.

that is straight from a lasvegas juvenile detective. i really need some guidance here i know that he wants to get emancipated here i don't know any laws about if you can help please contact me at princesspeaches082786@yahoo.com he has only got till 10/19/06 then he is 18.

Will you quit posting the same dang question over and over on EVERYBODY ELSE'S threads?!?!?! Either read the answer you were given on one of the other 50 threads you've posted this to or start your own thread.

ejtammmm
05-14-2006, 12:49 PM

in response to this.
that is not true. THE legal age in south carolina is 17. you can move out of your house without your parents say so. and go to jail. and thats about it. everything has to wait until your 18.

ceara
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
in response to this.
that is not true. THE legal age in south carolina is 17. you can move out of your house without your parents say so. and go to jail. and thats about it. everything has to wait until your 18.

Care to cite the ACTUAL LAW that drew this conclusion from? Because the South Carolina State Legislature has stated that a person is NOT a legal adult until they reach the age of TWENTY ONE!

SECTION 20-7-150: Definitions.

(1) "Adult" is a person who has attained the age of twenty-one years.

(11) "Minor" is a person who has not attained the age of twenty-one years, excluding a person under the age of twenty-one who is married or emancipated as decreed by the family court.

A PARENT can be granted immunity for the actions of a minor child that is at least 17 years of age. That does NOT give a 17 year old free reign to do as they though. It only means that the PARENT will NOT be held responsible for the actions of the child in certain situations.

SECTION 20-7-95. Parental immunity in cases of incorrigibility of seventeen-year-olds. [SC ST SEC 20-7-95]

A parent, guardian, or other person responsible for the care and support of a child may not be charged with unlawful neglect of a child, cruelty to a child, failure to provide reasonable support of a child, or a similar offense based on the exclusion from the home of a seventeen-year-old child where there is a demonstrable record that the child is incorrigible (beyond the control of parents).

It doesn't matter who you got your information from. They are WRONG. Here is the Legislative website if you would like to read through it. But, I'm telling you, it's NOT there!

http://www.scstatehouse.net/index.html

ejtammmm
05-14-2006, 01:58 PM
look. thanks for lookin that stuff up and everything. but i live in this state and i think i know what's going on. all i said that you can get away with in south carolina when you are 17 is moving out and going to the big time jail. i didn't say in reference to anything else.

mommyof4
05-14-2006, 02:20 PM
look. thanks for lookin that stuff up and everything. but i live in this state and i think i know what's going on. all i said that you can get away with in south carolina when you are 17 is moving out and going to the big time jail. i didn't say in reference to anything else.
Well, as I lived 5 minutes from the sc border for 10 years, I can tell you that you are WRONG. If your parents give you permission, you can move out. If they don't, then you can't. It's really simple. I know at 17, you know more about this than anyone else, but my friends that were returned home after leaving will be able to tell you otherwise. If you leave, and your parents do nothing about it, then you're good to go. If your parents report you, the police (more often, the sherrif's dept) WILL return you to your home, or juvie until your parents come to get you.

ceara
05-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Well, I have the ability to READ and COMPREHEND, so I can tell you that you are DEAD WRONG!

Yes, a 17 year old can be CHARGED as an adult if they commit a crime, that is true in MOST STATES, but they CANNOT LEGALLY move out without parental consent.

Just because you live in SC, doesn't mean you know the law. You don't KNOW jack! You THINK you know and I have PROVEN you wrong. So until you can cite the actual state LAW that says a 17 year old can move without parental consent, keep you OPINION to yourself.

ACc083
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Ejtammmm...

I'm afraid I have to stand by my original assertion and agree with Ceara and Mommyof4, who by the way also happen to be respected Senior Members of this website.

Although many states allow a child to be charged as an adult, this doesn't give that child the capacity of an adult. For example, that child would not be able to enter into contract, move out of their parent's house, enroll or legally drop out of school, get married, join the military, etc.

Your information is incorrect. I'm sorry if you've been misinformed or misunderstood, but we've properly provided you with the correct information regarding this situation.

ejtammmm
05-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Okay look, I may only be a junior member, but still. I cannot, for the life of me, find the page where I cited this information. I know one thing is for sure, in South Carolina, a child is able to move out at the age of 18, but wait, or after their high school graduation. The child may not be able to support themselves, sign any contracts, but there are alot of children of the age 17 who are forced into this sort of situation and there are special agreements for them. I'm not telling children they should be able to move out when they turn 17, but they are allowed to. It's not something to get so argumentative over. I mean, what 17 year old do you know that tries to move out of their parents house and try to buy their own house and/or car. They know they can't be responsible for that. Most 17 year olds get this awesome idea to move in with their girlfriends and such. I was just stating. The end.

ceara
05-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Okay look, I may only be a junior member, but still. I cannot, for the life of me, find the page where I cited this information. I know one thing is for sure, in South Carolina, a child is able to move out at the age of 18, but wait, or after their high school graduation. The child may not be able to support themselves, sign any contracts, but there are alot of children of the age 17 who are forced into this sort of situation and there are special agreements for them. I'm not telling children they should be able to move out when they turn 17, but they are allowed to. It's not something to get so argumentative over. I mean, what 17 year old do you know that tries to move out of their parents house and try to buy their own house and/or car. They know they can't be responsible for that. Most 17 year olds get this awesome idea to move in with their girlfriends and such. I was just stating. The end.

A 17 year old is NOT allowed to move out without parental consent. You have been given the state law WORD FOR WORD, including WHERE it is in SC Code in case you want to look it up yourself!

Furthermore, it IS something to get argumentative over. What you have said concerning a minor moving out is WRONG and any 17 year old that decides to listen to you because it is what they WANT to here will be BREAKING THE LAW. Ad because they are 17, they can go to the "grown-up jail".

Until you can cite where your information came from, I think I'll stick with what the SC legislature has given as the LAW (considering that they are the ones that WRITE THE LAW, they are much more credible then someone that is ignorant enough to continue standing by their original statement after they have been PROVEN WRONG repeatedly)!

mommyof4
05-17-2006, 07:31 AM
a person can move out when they are 18 or when they graduate high school, which ever comes LAST. In other words, if you are 18 when you graduate, congrats, you can be on your own. If you are 17 when you graduate, you get to wait until you turn 18.

ACc083
08-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Actually in GA your considered an adult at 17 in several matters. For example, at age 17 you can be tried as an adult for drug possession, in Alabama that age is 16. So yes you can be a "legal" adult in some instances at the age of 17.

Wrong...

the fact that a child can be charged as an adult does not make them a legal adult - in any circumstance.

Love_Pink90
10-04-2006, 03:21 PM

where in ga do you live? Im hearing so many things..are you sure that you can do that and not get in trouble? my bf is about to be 18 i want to move in with him. so. is that true?

mommyof4
10-04-2006, 04:55 PM
where in ga do you live? Im hearing so many things..are you sure that you can do that and not get in trouble? my bf is about to be 18 i want to move in with him. so. is that true?
for the last time, NO, it is not true. When you are 18, you can move out. Until then, you stay at home with your parents.

Billy Mack
10-04-2006, 05:51 PM

Read this. (http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?title=15&chapter=11&section=2)

I draw your attention to this paragraph:

(2) 'Child' means any individual who is: ...
(C) Under the age of 18 years, if alleged to be a 'deprived child' or a 'status offender' as defined by this Code section.

And this:

(12) 'Unruly child' means a child who:...
(D) Without just cause and without the consent of his or her parent or legal custodian deserts his or her home or place of abode;

Unruly child is a status offense. Therefore you can be charged with being a runaway when you're 17 in the state of Georgia.

Love_Pink90
10-06-2006, 07:33 PM
ACc gave a very detailed and accurate response to this question. No matter how many times the question is asked, the answer is still the same. You are NOT an adult at 17, and you cannot legally leave home without parent consent or emancipation.

then how did citrusdrop1688 get to do that?!?!

pty
10-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Years ago (and maybe even now in some places, I dont know) when the police were called on domestic violence cases, their response was, "We dont get involved in domestic issues" Did it mean that they couldnt get involved? NO. Did it mean that it was legal to beat your spouse? NO. It meant that they were reluctant to get involved and wouldnt do so unless someone insisted.

Obviously, Citrus Drops parents didnt insist that the police DO THEIR JOB. Most parents would insist.

I really dont mean to be rude, but youve gotten the answer to your question several times. You remind me of a child who ask the same question over and over again hoping that theyll eventually get the answer they want.

At 18 you get to decide where you live. 18.

confused232
10-06-2006, 08:49 PM

To clear up some confusion...up until a few years ago 17 year olds in Georgia were not subject to status offense.

Now, they are. Before then, Georgia was like Missouri is now in that there was nothing that could be done about 17-year-old runways. Now there is.

pty
10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
up until a few years ago 17 year olds in Georgia were not subject to status offense.

This is true, but even before the law was changed it was not legal for a 17-year-old to leave home. Just because the minor couldn't then face charges for it, that didnt mean the parents had no legal recourse.

Billy Mack
10-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Actually, that was precisely the case. Until about 2002, it was legal for a 17 year old to move out in Georgia. It put parents in an odd place because they were still responsible for the care of the 17 year old, but the 17 year old didn't have to obey the rules of the house and could leave whenever he or she wanted to.

It was legal, and there was no legal recourse.

Love_Pink90
10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Actually, that was precisely the case. Until about 2002, it was legal for a 17 year old to move out in Georgia. It put parents in an odd place because they were still responsible for the care of the 17 year old, but the 17 year old didn't have to obey the rules of the house and could leave whenever he or she wanted to.

It was legal, and there was no legal recourse.

that really sucks! i mean i was all excited but now.. crap!

Love_Pink90
10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
for the last time, NO, it is not true. When you are 18, you can move out. Until then, you stay at home with your parents.

i posted my post to citrusdrop.

ashattriot
10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
people who give false advice, this is for you. This is for all you kids suffering at home in Georgia when youre 17. Heres the answer and trust me I know from not only my own experience, but also from my mom's, and many other family members. Yes, LAWS state that you can't do that at 18, but LAWS don't give the loopholes. AT 17 in Georgia, you CAN leave home. It helps if you are out of high school, tho. THAT does matter. I ASKED A COP before I left home, so I should know. I did it not long ago. And I tried to use the internet for answers, but all you people who are trying to confuse kids who may really need or want out. So be quiet if you dont know.

FlyinHawk
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
First off the thread is from 2005, second don't give out false information. You can leave home without parental consent when you have reached your state's age of majority, until then you must have parental permission.

cbg
10-15-2008, 05:46 PM
ashattriot, where did your cop go to law school?

I am putting an end to this. Anyone else who wants to ask the same question (and who will get the same answer; there is no state, not even Georgia, where the age of majority is less than 18) will have to open their own thread.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements