PDA

View Full Version : Is a mandatory 7 day work week legal?

schism
07-28-2005, 08:33 PM
The posistion I currently have was taken with the understanding that I would have saturdays off as a "benefit" of takeing the position, of course this was a verbal agreement and not in writeing and the manager no longer is employed by the company. Since that time the compay has decided to make me work every other saturday, wich in and of itself is getting real old, and today I was told we will be going to 7 days a week. Now our handbook says that we can be asked to work overtime on occasion but what does the law have to say about it being a permanat thing? And our dol website is totaly useless.

Thanks

cbg
07-28-2005, 10:26 PM
In your state, and in most (but not all) others, it is legal to require an employee to work 7 days a week. The only caveat is that after 40 hours in a week you have to get OT.

tsanglee
08-17-2005, 02:32 PM
In your state, and in most (but not all) others, it is legal to require an employee to work 7 days a week. The only caveat is that after 40 hours in a week you have to get OT.

Do you know what it would mean for consultant who normally work for 5 days week to be forced to work 7 days. There wouldn't be OT since it is salary base and there is no bonus involved.

cbg
08-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I understand that it would be unpleasant. However, that does not make it illegal.

I don't make the law. If you want there to be a law that limits the number of hours you can be requested to work, the way to accomplish that is to lobby your elected representatives for it, not to complain to me.

South Carolina Labor Law Posters
Comply with South Carolina regulations with one Complete South Carolina Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.