PDA

View Full Version : California law on breaks

ancientaztec
05-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I understand all about lunches, I even found the section in the California Labor Code about them, but I cant seem to find anything about the break periods. My employer is giving me one 10 minute paid break and the 30 minute unpaid lunch on a 6am to 2:30pm work period, and I remember working for a company that gave us a 20 minute break and the lunch, because the state law was two 10 minute breaks, so they just combined them. Where can I find some documentation on this, if it is what the law requires?

Sue
05-16-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/rest.htm

California
Paid 10-minute rest period for each 4 hours worked or major fraction thereof; as practicable, in middle of each work period. Not required for employees whose total daily work time is less than 3 and hours.

HWM
05-22-2005, 06:31 AM
I work in California,
and the job I work at, constantly makes us work more than 8 hours a day, up to 12.

They claim that we get 2 15-minute breaks, and 1 30-minute break -
and that's it!

Now, I thought it was more like a break of some kind, every 2 hours?

They push our 1st break to almost 3 1/2 hours after our start time.

The other day, we worked 10 hours, and I asked them about another break,
and they said they didn't have to give us one.

They constantly work us very hard (we load trucks at a distibutor)
and we need our breaks, or the work beats us up!

I have been speaking to other employees, and they agree, the work is hard, and not enough breaks on time.

Please someone point me in the right direction to get this problem solved.

Thank you.

texmex155
06-05-2005, 08:46 AM
QUOTE=ancientaztec]I understand all about lunches, I even found the section in the California Labor Code about them, but I cant seem to find anything about the break periods. My employer is giving me one 10 minute paid break and the 30 minute unpaid lunch on a 6am to 2:30pm work period, and I remember working for a company that gave us a 20 minute break and the lunch, because the state law was two 10 minute breaks, so they just combined them. Where can I find some documentation on this, if it is what the law requires?[/QUOTE]
:) I work in a resturant where my employer does't have a 10 min. break nor does he have a set meal break.There have been days where I don't get a meal break at all.

LConnell
06-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Take a look at this website: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm

nickleanddimed
07-27-2005, 10:09 AM
I am having difficulty in locating the information I need in regard to meal periods and rest breaks....I did read the information on meal periods of 30 minutes and was unsure if it addressed my specific concern:

I work a 9 hour shift in California at a childcare facility with about 6 employees and the director, plus one other staff memeber absent on maternity leave. I was under the impression that when I worked 8 hours or more my employer was required to let me take a one hour unpaid break. I was also under the impression that this one hour unpaid break, or meal period, or whatever the correct term, allows me to leave the premises, and that if I am required to stay ON the premises instead that I am to be paid that one hour.

Is this correct?

I currently take a one hour break during my 9 hour shift, and no additional rest or meal periods, and I just want to be sure the law allows me to leave work during that one hour or to be paid for the hour I am on break but required to stay at the site. I do have a proper place to sit and eat when I am asked not to leave the building or surrounding grounds.

In addition to the meal period information I read all of the rest period information I could find, but it left me a bit confused!

Also, I cannot see anywhere at my workplace any poster stating labor laws. Is it a requirement that they be posted somewhere in plain sight??

thank you in advance for any information! :confused:

cbg
07-27-2005, 11:15 AM
No, it is not correct. There is no law in CA or any other state* that guarantees an employee with an hour long break, regardless of the circumstances.

*I believe in some very limited, industry specific situations some employees in NY may be due a one hour lunch break, but that is the only exception I know of.

Yes, there are posters that have to be in view but the law does not specify exactly where they must be.

California Labor Law Posters
Comply with California regulations with one Complete California Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.