PDA

View Full Version : Florida State Disability Law

sequence
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Where can I find the details on pregnancy disability state law for Florida? Do you have to be employed (or lost of wages) in order to receive disability payments? Is Florida disability state law same as California's?

LConnell
03-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Florida does not have a pregnancy disability law. If you want to know about the laws that Florida does cover, including where the state refers citizens to information about maternity leave, you can look at the following website: http://www.floridajobs.org/awifaqs/employed_worker.htm#3

sequence
03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Thank you for the information. If the state of Florida only has the FMLA provision which means not all employers can qualify due to the size of the company then does this mean a small company will not be able to provide one with a supplemental income (aside from the company's benefits/policies) similar to CA state disability law? Then what does Florida disability law cover? Only injuries?

sequence
03-04-2005, 10:44 AM
One more question. Can one file unemployment insurance in the State of Florida if on maternity leave? & what is the maximum weekly income? Many thanks.

LConnell
03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Florida does not have a disability plan such as one would find in California. There is no requirement that an employer offer a short-term disability plan nor does the state have one. The only legislation that mandates leaves is through FMLA, which only covers larger employers and employees with at least one year of service.

Florida doesn't even have a disability benefit for others. The only benefit that a person can receive is the disability assistance provided through Social Security. It is available for eligible persons who are cannot work due to a permanent disability.

Florida's website says the following, re: pregnancy and unemployment:

If I resign from my job or leave due to my pregnancy, will I qualify for unemployment compensation benefits?
Generally, Unemployment benefits are only available to persons who are unemployed through no fault of their own, and are willing and able to work. Specific circumstances are analyzed on a case-by-case basis. Qualification is determined after the claim is filed and facts are gathered from the worker and former employer. Please check the following website for more information: http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment/default.htm

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements