PDA

View Full Version : Legal age to quit school Ohio

mckaitkal35
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I would like to know what the legal age to quit school in Ohio is. I would also like a link to the website where this information can be verified. Thank you.

cbg
07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't do homework.

mckaitkal35
07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
"Exceptions to Attendance Requirements: Child received high school diploma; lawfully employed (if over 14 for necessary work); physical/mental condition does not permit attendance; child being instructed at home."

So, according to the information from the link that you gave me, a child who is 14 years or older can quit school in Ohio as long as they have lawful employment. Am I understanding this correctly?

Is there a way that a child can "test out" to receive their high school diploma earlier than their senior year in Ohio? I read about someone in California that completed a California High School Proficiency test and was able to obtain their diploma earlier than their designated graduation date.

Thank you.

cbg
07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
No, you're not.

Here are the actual statutes. It's much more complicated that just having a job. You didn't really think the state would approve a 14 year old dropping out of school as long as he's running a mop across the back kitchen at McDonalds, did you?

What's the big hurry to drop out?

mckaitkal35
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I always love the smart aleck answers given on here. That is why I made my questions as generic as possible because a lot of people on here like to act like they are King or Queen Crap when responding to people asking questions that they really want a legitimate, serious answer to instead of being made to feel demoralized for asking such a question.

No, I did not really think that the law would let a child quit school to work at McDonald's nor did I express any "big hurry" in quitting school. You don't even know if I'm talking about myself, my child, someone else's child, or if I'm not even talking about anyone's child! I may just need this information for an essay or report, etc. You have no idea. I do appreciate your response but next time, please just respond to the question without adding your own personal opinions. If I wanted opinions, I'd ask for them. I wanted to know the facts. Thank you.

cbg
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
When you post on a public board, you don't get to say who answers or how.

I don't do other people's homework. So I hope you wrote those statutes down because from this point on, you know how to google as well as I do.

CarynG
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Attendance is required until the age of eighteen, or graduation. The only test-out option is the GED. For kids aged 16-18 (inclusive), a waiver has to be signed by the superintendent of the school district in which the child resides, before the child will be allowed to apply for the exam.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements