PDA

View Full Version : Personality assessments asks weird questions South Carolina

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 04:43 AM
I really hate these personality assessments as I always fail them (I believe). Some have been upfront with me, and others have just never contacted me. But everyone who has been up front has told me that I failed the assessment. Some assessments ask weird questions relevant directly with me disabilities/religion.

So this time I recorded those questions and sent corporate an email. What do you say? Does it sound good, and what do you think of the questions?

---

SENT ON 6/24/09

I applied for a job for a sales position and did not like some of the questions in the personality assessment as they related directly with my disabilities of ADD, anxiety, etc.. Question like these.

You can easily cheer up and forget a problem
You solve even difficult mental problems
A lot of things can make you feel tense
You often feel nervous about something

Is there someway some other method can be used to determine if I am a good fit for the job? I have 5+ yrs of retail sales experience and you require 6 months. I have a perfect background and good refs.

Thanks,

John
---

I worked in retail long before assessments became the norm to explain my experience.

The Masked Poster
06-24-2009, 07:06 AM
John, it's beginning to look like you are having issues with every single employer you come into contact with. Have you ever considered that the issues here may be with you instead of all of them? Probably not.

I wish you the best, John, and will pray for you, but I think this is where I need to stop the merry-go-round that seems to be your life and get off. Good luck!

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 10:09 AM
John, it's beginning to look like you are having issues with every single employer you come into contact with. Have you ever considered that the issues here may be with you instead of all of them? Probably not.

I wish you the best, John, and will pray for you, but I think this is where I need to stop the merry-go-round that seems to be your life and get off. Good luck!

I do not appreciate your sarcasm man. Its not every single employer, as I got a job offer today with the school district and other employers have shown interest. I have sent off DOZENS AND DOZENS of apps & resumes, and out of that volume I have had some conflicts. But that certainly does not mean "every single employer." Its not professional to jump to conclusions and make assumptions that those I have had issues with, is all me.

John

cbg
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Your record here would indicate otherwise.

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Your record here would indicate otherwise.

Well got a job offer today, but it does not start till August.

Got a employer who said they are very interested in me as a PCA, and will be contacting me on Tuesday. Got another interview today @ 3pm, and other interests.

I have spoken about only negative experiences here, and its reasonable to assume that others would make incorrect interpretations.

John

Alice Dodd
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
If you have a problem with the questions you posted it's probably because your true answer isn't what they would want to hear.

You can easily cheer up and forget a problem
You solve even difficult mental problems
A lot of things can make you feel tense
You often feel nervous about something

If you answer no to 1 and 2, and yes to 3 and 4, you're showing problems that will affect your work. They have every right to know if your personality fits with the job.

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
If you have a problem with the questions you posted it's probably because your true answer isn't what they would want to hear. If you answer no to 1 and 2, and yes to 3 and 4, you're showing problems that will affect your work. They have every right to know if your personality fits with the job.

But at the same time these questions are inapropiate. What do they have to do with work ethics?

Pattymd
06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Work ethics are not the same as a personality fit. Not even close.

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
If you have a problem with the questions you posted it's probably because your true answer isn't what they would want to hear.

If you answer no to 1 and 2, and yes to 3 and 4, you're showing problems that will affect your work. They have every right to know if your personality fits with the job.

You cant say that for sure. Its a wild assumption. It also filters out those that can adapt and cope with problems. My record in the retail industry and my refs would indicate otherwise to your assumption. There are some good arguments against personality tests and a book or two.

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Work ethics are not the same as a personality fit. Not even close.

Yeah but asking questions that relate directly to my ADD & anxiety is not professional. In a interview if an employer asked that I would tell them I am taking meds or that I see someone and thats how I cope and deal with the problems.

The interviewer today for my new job in the Fall did not ask anything like that, or anything related to my ADD/anxiety.

cbg
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
John, if you have a problem with the use of these assessments, take it up with your elected representatives. They can do something about it. We cannot.

jwolf6589
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
John, if you have a problem with the use of these assessments, take it up with your elected representatives. They can do something about it. We cannot.

Actually you can. You can become more aware of them and their pro's & con's, and inform others, write letters, and do whatever.

Check this out

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/showthread.php?tid=1203&page=2

"You are really doing a disservice to the complexity of human individuality," said Dan P. McAdams, a professor of psychology and human development at Northwestern University."

Pattymd
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
OK, maybe we could write letters. But we aren't going to do so just because you disagree with this particular action.

cbg
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
And if anyone here is interested enough to do so, I'm sure they will. But YOU are the one in this thread who has the problem; YOU write the letters.

But if you choose not to, don't expect us to do it for you.

ElleMD
06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Personality tests are not skills tests with a pass/ fail rate. They are assessments of an individuals traits and how they cope with those traits. It does not automatically discriminate against you because you have a mental illness or emotional disability. It doesn't even ask if you have one. It only asks how you handle certain situations and if you condition is under control, there is no reason you would not be able to solve difficult problems or go with the flow. Someone who is easy to anger and has a hard time letting go when things go poorly is not well suited to a sales role, no matter what the reason for it, or what their experience happens to be.

If you are a good manager and don't exhibit these traits, then just answer that way. You don't even know that the answers to these questions alone would disqualify you or what effect they have on the overall score.

cactus jack
06-25-2009, 03:46 AM
I recall the State of Wyoming had a problem with that because non-trained personnel were making evaluations that were borderline on psychological diagnostic. I'm unsure what came of that.

I found the best way to pass those tests is to forget option 2, 3, & 4. It's either yes or no, strongly agree or strongly disagree. Gives a better profile that doesn't disagree with how you feel about the issues covered in the questions, but it's not "iffy".

Oh, and John, take politics somewhere else. Not here. We don't care. I don't, at least. I have enough irons in the fire politically as it is that I'm not going to pick up someone elses fight for them.

jwolf6589
06-25-2009, 05:50 AM
I did a bit of research and discovered previous lawsuits, articles, and some involvement by attorney's against these tests that violate the ADA. So I am not alone.

I recall the State of Wyoming had a problem with that because non-trained personnel were making evaluations that were borderline on psychological diagnostic. I'm unsure what came of that.

I found the best way to pass those tests is to forget option 2, 3, & 4. It's either yes or no, strongly agree or strongly disagree. Gives a better profile that doesn't disagree with how you feel about the issues covered in the questions, but it's not "iffy".

Oh, and John, take politics somewhere else. Not here. We don't care. I don't, at least. I have enough irons in the fire politically as it is that I'm not going to pick up someone elses fight for them.

Pattymd
06-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Irrespective of all that, is this the hill you want to die on? Especially when you're unemployed?

cbg
06-25-2009, 06:41 AM
John - take it somewhere else. That there are others that agree with you, fine. Then all of you pick up the fight. If anyone here is interested, they can join the fight.

But I am going to say this one more time. Arguing with us about it is not going to change the law. Complaining to a message board does nothing. You've brought the matter to our attention - okay, if anyone here cares, they know what to do.

Now, drop it. At least here.

nnotsoo
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Learn how to answer these assessments!! Choose the best answer!! the one the employer wants to hear!! Remember how you answer as the question will be reversed, rewritten later on in the assessment. Remember YOU want/need a job, mb a career? Keep your emotions out of it and when you ever get hired, keep your emotions and mouth at home. the job market is tough and only the best who'll work for peanuts will get hired.:confused:

* Find more information on Equal Employment Opportunity-Discrimination.
Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements