PDA

View Full Version : On call, no pay Arizona

young55
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
At my job I'm forced to sit around and wait for business with no compensation. I'm also forced to do labor with no compensation. If I fail to do either of the above, I can and will be, first penalized, then terminated. Is this legal?

young55

ElleMD
08-15-2008, 08:23 AM
If you aren't being paid at all for the work you do, why do you still work there?

Whether on call time needs to be paid depends on a lot of factors. What do you do? Why are you waiting for work? How free are you to engage in personal pursuits while waiting to be called?

Pattymd
08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
And where are you sitting? "On-call" implies that you aren't physically at the place of business.

What do you do and what type of business is this?

ScottB
08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm also forced to do labor with no compensation.

Generally, not legal. Exceptions would include salaried, exempt employees. You have not given any details about what you do or how you are paid, so no one could be expected to respond with anything close to a good answer.

young55
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
At my job I'm forced to sit around and wait for business with no compensation. I'm also forced to do labor with no compensation. If I fail to do either of the above, I can and will be, first penalized, then terminated. Is this legal?

young55

Sorry for lack of info, (first time here)

I'm a jeep driver and on busy days (2 days per week) I usually get around 4 trips per day. On slower days I might get one in the morning and have to sit around for 4 or 5 hours before getting another trip. I'm required to wash the jeep at day's end without compensation.

Thanks very much for your responses.

ScottB
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry for lack of info, (first time here)

I'm a jeep driver and on busy days (2 days per week) I usually get around 4 trips per day. On slower days I might get one in the morning and have to sit around for 4 or 5 hours before getting another trip. I'm required to wash the jeep at day's end without compensation.

Thanks very much for your responses.

You still have not detailed how you are paid and that is really important. So long as your pay for a work week exceeds minimum wage (assuming no work over 40 hours), the federal government won't care how much you make. I suspect your state won't, either.

The key is not how much you make or not make in a day. The weekly earnings are what count. If you make minimum wage times 40 hours working eight hours on Monday and get zero pay for the rest of the work week, even though you put in another 32 hours, the employer has violated no law.

Arizona Labor Law Posters
Comply with Arizona regulations with one Complete Arizona Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.