PDA

View Full Version : obtaining my w-2 after termination

latosha420
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
My friend and i submitted our 2wk notice...we were not allowed to work out this notice...we are relocating to another state in about 2wks...are we able to obtain our w-2 and final paycheck before we leave/

DAW
07-14-2008, 08:36 AM
When your paycheck is due is a function of the law of your state (which you have not mentioned).

The W2 rule is as follows:

"If an employee asks for Form W-2, give him or her the completed copies within 30 days of the request or within 30 days of the final wage payment"

Pattymd
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Is there some reason that you think, if you give your employer your fowarding address, he WON'T forward you your W-2?

christamcd
07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow, I never knew that a employee could request their W-2 before the Jan 30th due date.

I always advise terminating employees to make sure that I have their current address so their W-2 can be mail in January. It never fails that I get at least one back followed by an angry phone call on February 1st from the former employee who moved but expected by magic to recieve their W-2.

DAW
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
A terminated employee can legally ask for their W2 early.

Speaking as a payroll person, this is not the sort of thing we advertise. This rule must be followed like all other rules, but it is a major PITA! W2s are normally a fairly automatic process run after year end. I had an empoyer I was hired at mid December (too late to fix processes for that year). We had 1,100 of 1,500 W2s that needed corrections, which apparently was regarded as "normal". Within 2 years we had gotten that down to zero corrections, except for the Ex-Pats (whole different set of problems).

While it is certainly possible to manually issue a W2, coming up with the correct numbers early can be a real pain. It is not uncommon for some companies to have a huge number of corrections related to bad process decisions. There is no good reason (IMO) to not fix your processes to avoid waiting until year end to get imputted income, stock transactions and other adjustments fixed. Still, these quickly issued W2s tend to have a much higher potential error rate.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements