PDA

View Full Version : What are the Laws in NC for being fired for no reason??? North Carolina

Meshow
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I have a question... What are the laws in North Carolina about a manager firing an employee for no bad reason in order for the owner to have their friends work there???

I don't know the laws in North Carolina. I would like to know though!!! Any links, whatever it may be. Let me know PLEASE!!!

Pattymd
07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
North Carolina is an "at will employment" state. That means, unless there is a bona fide employment contract) that the employer can discharge an employee at any time for any reason that does not violate a specific law. Conversely, it means that the employee can quit at any time for any reason.

There is no law that prohibits an employer from discharging one employee to hire his friend.

Meshow
07-11-2008, 11:15 AM
The employee is working great! There are 3 owners in the building. One of the owners wants to get rid of 2 employees so her 2 friends can work. But the other 2 owners don't want that to happen. For no apparent she wants to let them go because of her friends. Can this be taken to court by the employee?

ScottB
07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Can this be taken to court by the employee?

Yes, but the employee is not likely to win unless the employee can prove illegal discrimination. I don't see it here unless there is more to the story.

Meshow
07-11-2008, 11:28 AM
That owner just wants to let them go so she can have her friends work there. The other 2 will be defending the employee.

Meshow
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I also would like to help that employee(s) out in this case. I want to make sure that owner does not do that to the employee(s)

cyjeff
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
You are not hearing us.

Firing an employee for ANY reason not protected by law is legal.

Nepotism - the act of hiring friends and/or family - is not a protected class.

Therefore, it is perfectly legal to fire a good worker to put in an inefficient friend.

ScottB
07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
The best bet is for the ex-employee to file for unemployment. Absent misconduct, the employee will likely get benefits. Not as good as a paycheck, but better than nothing.

Meshow
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks to all!

TheRed
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
The question you're not asking is "who can fire?"

Unfortunately, that is a complicated and very fact specific question. It's also got nothing (or very little at all) to do with employment law.

Welcome to small business politics. I hope you don't get burned.

Betty3
07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I understand a few state legislatures & city councils have passed laws against nepotism but only for public sector employees - no laws against it for employees of private employers unless there is a binding employment contract regarding the issue.

Therefore, I agree with the other posters who indicated nothing illegal was done by employer - unfair maybe but not illegal. Sorry.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements