PDA

View Full Version : Required to stop if witness to an accident??

xena
06-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Is there any law in any state that requires a person who has witnessed an accident to stop and give a report to a law enfocement officer?

Within the last 2 months, I've talked to 2 different people who claim they were ticketed because they didn't stop after witnessing MINOR accidents. Neither one was involved in the accident, and others were already stopping to help, so they went on their way without pulling over.

I can understand being required to stop if involved in an accident, but had never heard of being required to stop just because of being a witness. Just wondering if what I've been told is true or not. Thanks in advance.

Billy Mack
06-29-2007, 05:30 AM
I've never heard of such a thing. Can either of them provide a code section from the ticket?

Now if you're a witness, and an officer tells you to stop, you could be arrested for Obstruction.

Chancemeeting
06-29-2007, 07:14 AM
I was told when I got my drivers license that the law said you must stop if you are a witness. I too have known people to be ticketed. I am curious too!

mommyof4
06-29-2007, 07:22 AM
I've never heard of it.

A couple of weeks ago, we were driving and a contratcor's garbage truck slid off the road, across the access road and knocked over a telephone pole. (He wasn't hurt.) There was no way we could stop. (anybody that has driven on 1-30 through the "canyon" in Dallas knows this). We called 911 and reported it, gave our name and contact info. We never heard a word back about it.

mommyof4
06-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Xena, here's the Florida statute. Notice it says nothing about a witness's responsibility to stop, render aid, or give information. It applies to a driver involved in the wreck.

316.062 Duty to give information and render aid.--
(1) The driver of any vehicle involved in a crash resulting in injury to or death of any person or damage to any vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall give his or her name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle he or she is driving, and shall upon request and if available exhibit his or her license or permit to drive, to any person injured in such crash or to the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle or other property damaged in the crash and shall give such information and, upon request, exhibit such license or permit to any police officer at the scene of the crash or who is investigating the crash and shall render to any person injured in the crash reasonable assistance, including the carrying, or the making of arrangements for the carrying, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that treatment is necessary, or if such carrying is requested by the injured person.
(2) In the event none of the persons specified are in condition to receive the information to which they otherwise would be entitled under subsection (1), and no police officer is present, the driver of any vehicle involved in such crash, after fulfilling all other requirements of s. 316.027 (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/Sec027.HTM) and subsection (1), insofar as possible on his or her part to be performed, shall forthwith report the crash to the nearest office of a duly authorized police authority and submit thereto the information specified in subsection (1).
(3) The statutory duty of a person to make a report or give information to a law enforcement officer making a written report relating to a crash shall not be construed as extending to information which would violate the privilege of such person against self-incrimination.
(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318. History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 13, ch. 91-255; s. 297, ch. 95-148; s. 84, ch. 99-248.

I read through all of the statutes. None addresses a witness's legal responsibility to stop.

xena
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. The 2 people who were ticketed were both truck drivers (in different states). I'm wondering if the fact that they a CDL was what made the difference.

On the same note, yesterday my Dad witnessed an accident on I-75 in Georgia. He didn't stop because he wasn't involved and he could see that all of the people involved were out of thier vehicles and walking around. One of the vehicles involved was a truck owned by the trucking company that my BIL works for.( BIL wasn't involved in the accident, but just went to work for the company a month ago). The accident wasn't the truck driver's fault, my Dad was wondering if he should let my BIL know that he was a witness, but when I told him what I had heard, we're not sure if he should tell my BIL or not. My Dad certainly doesn't want to end up with a ticket by trying to do a good thing. Any suggestions?

Billy Mack
07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
There is no requirement to stop as a witness in Georgia.

Here's the meat of our Hit and Run statute:
40-6-270.
(a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or the death of any person or in damage to a vehicle which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident or shall stop as close thereto as possible and forthwith return to the scene of the accident and shall:
(1) Give his name and address and the registration number of the vehicle he is driving;
(2) Upon request and if it is available, exhibit his operator's license to the person struck or the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle collided with; and
(3) Render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the transporting, or the making of arrangements for the transporting, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary or if such transporting is requested by the injured person.
The driver shall in every event remain at the scene of the accident until fulfilling the requirements of this subsection. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

xena
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
There is no requirement to stop as a witness in Georgia.

Here's the meat of our Hit and Run statute:
40-6-270.
(a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or the death of any person or in damage to a vehicle which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident or shall stop as close thereto as possible and forthwith return to the scene of the accident and shall:
(1) Give his name and address and the registration number of the vehicle he is driving;
(2) Upon request and if it is available, exhibit his operator's license to the person struck or the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle collided with; and
(3) Render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the transporting, or the making of arrangements for the transporting, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary or if such transporting is requested by the injured person.
The driver shall in every event remain at the scene of the accident until fulfilling the requirements of this subsection. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

Thank you for the info. As it turned out, there were several witnesses who came forward and the truck driver wasn't charged with the accident. My dad's help wasn't even needed, so we did all that wondering and worrying for nothing. But at least I know what the laws is now.:)

Troubleshooter
07-11-2007, 02:33 AM
I just thought of something. It's different if you witness a crime. If a criminal act was in view just before the accident, that could change what you have to do.

* Find more information on Traffic Laws.
Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements