PDA

View Full Version : Min and Max hours for Part time employee Maryland

StephaneMD
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
The situation is for a small firm, 10 employees, doing consulting work. I have been told that per the MD labor laws, 17 hours is minimum to be considered a part time employee and 30 hours is the max. At 30 hours and above, this employee becomes a full time employee. Is this correct? Thank you

ScottB
01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
:confused:

So what is a part-time employee who works only eight, twelve or sixteen hours a week?

Federal and state labor laws generally do not define who is full-time and who is part-time. Companies do that. It usually comes into play only when figuring out eligibility for benefits.

Pattymd
01-26-2007, 10:38 AM
ScottB is correct. Whoever told you that is mistaken (in Maryland, and in nearly every other state).

I'm Blessed!
04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
:confused:

So what is a part-time employee who works only eight, twelve or sixteen hours a week?

Federal and state labor laws generally do not define who is full-time and who is part-time. Companies do that. It usually comes into play only when figuring out eligibility for benefits.

Hello-I have an ee who came onboard as a pt ee with a maximum of 30 hours a week. He works any where from 68-95 hours a pay period (two weeks). The president of the company doesn't want to offer benefits due to the cost but the ee wants/needs the health and dental benefits. However, he is currently enrolled in vision and 401K. What are the laws? Is the ee entitled to benefits since he is working more than 30 hours a week? Also, is it fair that he is entitle to vision and 401k but no other benefits? Is this law written somewhere that i can print and submit to the president of the company? Thank you.

I'm Blessed!
04-12-2007, 07:13 AM
ScottB is correct. Whoever told you that is mistaken (in Maryland, and in nearly every other state).

Hello-I have an ee who came onboard as a pt ee with a maximum of 30 hours a week. He works any where from 68-95 hours a pay period (two weeks). The president of the company doesn't want to offer benefits due to the cost but the ee wants/needs the health and dental benefits. However, he is currently enrolled in vision and 401K. What are the laws? Is the ee entitled to benefits since he is working more than 30 hours a week? Also, is it fair that he is entitle to vision and 401k but no other benefits? Is this law written somewhere that i can print and submit to the president of the company? Thank you.

Morgana
04-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Who is eligible for health care benefits is determined by your carrier. OUr says we may not keep anyone on the plan who works less than 30 hours per week.
If we had a 30 hour employee, we COULD offer medical benefits or we may choose to only offer benefits to those considered full time 40 hrs/week.

That is totally a seperate issue from who is considered full time for OT.

cbg
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I've already answered this question in the other thread where you posted it. Please post each question only once.

Maryland labor Law Posters
Comply with Maryland regulations with one Complete Maryland Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.