PDA

View Full Version : legal high school drop out age in Illinois?

xiz343
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
if anyone knows, i would greatly appreciate it =) i want to drop out of high school for personal reasons, although i will be receiving my GED.
Thank You

mama41806
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
the age is 16 im almost positive.

mommyof4
02-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Nope, it's 17. The law went into effect in the beginning of 2005. If a student drops out before reaching the age of 17, he or she will not be able to get a driver's license until reaching the age of 18 or re-enrollment. Furthermore, a student with 18 or more unexcused absences is also subject to the same penalties. If a student has 3 or 4 truancy notices, the student will be required to perform 20-40 hours of community service.

mama41806
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
no you can get your lisense at 16 if you can pay for the driving school. and as to dropping out in all depends on the county, and if you have a baby you can definitly drop out at age 16, and you can take the ge.d. at that age too. but idk if u have a baby...lol...im just saying what if.
ive been through all these laws with my social worker :)

Baystategirl
02-07-2007, 11:17 PM
no you can get your lisense at 16 if you can pay for the driving school. and as to dropping out in all depends on the county, and if you have a baby you can definitly drop out at age 16, and you can take the ge.d. at that age too. but idk if u have a baby...lol...im just saying what if.

What state are you in???

mommyof4
02-08-2007, 06:22 AM
1/6/2005

By Eric Chaney
http://www.studentsfirst.us/source/img/f218/SZ200_marion%20daily%20republican.jpg (http://www.studentsfirst.us/source/img/f218/marion%20daily%20republican.jpg)
Marion Daily Republican

SPRINGFIELD -- A new state law that took effect after the new year has changed Illinois' high school dropout age from 16 to 17, in an effort to keep more students in the schools.

Schools might encounter additional discipline problems from students who no longer will be allowed to drop out at 16, but alternative programs, such as the Marion High School Extension Center, are available for those students.

The extension center, which offers an alternative classroom setting for students who have fallen behind on their graduation requirements, is a large part of Marion's success at curbing their drop out rate. The statewide high-school dropout rate last year was 4.6 percent, according to the 2004 state report card issued by the State Board of Education, but according to Marion High School's school report card MHS has a significantly lower rate of 2.8 percent.

"At 16 years old I don't know if kids are really capable of making a decision of what's good for them," said extension center administrator Ray Huelsmann. "I think the justification behind it is that it gives them that one more year of maturity to make that decision to try to get their diploma."

The extension center caters mostly to juniors and seniors who are of legal age to drop out, but have made the choice to stay in school. However, Huelsmann said that there are probably kids in his classes who, had they been given the option of dropping out at age 16 and hadn't had the opportunity to go to the extension center, probably would have dropped out.

Huelsmann said that the extension center, which currently serves around 60 students, was the district's answer to a dropping graduation rate, and he applauds district administrators and board members for having the foresight to deal with an issue that the state has only now taken action on.

"We're in the forefront because we saw the problem and the administration and the board found a solution to the problem before a lot of other people were even thinking about it," said Huelsmann.

The new law also provides that certain provisions that apply to truant officers apply to the regional superintendent of schools or his or her designee in a school district that does not have a truant officer. It makes changes concerning the compliance procedure for persons who fail to send a child to school as well as allowing certain students to enroll in graduation incentives programs and listing programs that qualify as graduation incentives programs.

Another closely related law that passed over the new year increases the penalty for gang recruitment on school grounds. According to the new law a person may face Class 4 felony charges for "threatening the use of physical force to coerce, solicit, recruit, or induce another person to join or remain a member of a criminal street gang, or conspiring to do so."

The law applies to all school buildings or school-owned property and extends from elementary all the way up to college property.
http://www.studentsfirst.us/news/contentview.asp?c=138470

----------------------------------------------------------------

xiz343
02-08-2007, 10:47 AM

haha, no I do not have a baby, thank god. I did ask my school's counsler and she told me that if i am 17, my mother needs to sign and give me permission, when I turn 18 I do not need a parents signature anymore. Thank you all for the information =)

mommyof4
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
You need to tell your social worker that she needs to read up to date legal statutes. She was wrong. The law changed in 2005.

mama41806
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
well im a teen mom, so everything i put applied to me. there are special circumstances. but drop out age does definitly depend on the county. in livingston county you can drop out and get your g.e.d. when you are 16, but only if you get ur g.e.d. and thats what this person wanted to do. so depending on which county, she could drop out if she was going to get her g.e.d. i dont know if you guys are really set on being right, or what ever, but ive been in the situation. so its not just my social worker. its county law. im 15 and taking my g.e.d classes so i can take the test in 2 months, once i turn 16.

mommyof4
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
well im a teen mom, so everything i put applied to me. there are special circumstances. but drop out age does definitly depend on the county. in livingston county you can drop out and get your g.e.d. when you are 16, but only if you get ur g.e.d. and thats what this person wanted to do. so depending on which county, she could drop out if she was going to get her g.e.d. i dont know if you guys are really set on being right, or what ever, but ive been in the situation. so its not just my social worker. its county law. im 15 and taking my g.e.d classes so i can take the test in 2 months, once i turn 16.
You have been entered into one of the alternative education tracks to get your ged. If you had not been and just dropped out, you would have faced legal reprecussions for doing so. Being entered into an alternative education program is not the same as dropping out. It is a statewide law for Illinois that the legal age to "drop out" is 17. I'm not too concerned about whether you think I am correct or not. I just posted the law for you. Notice it says STATE LAW.

mama41806
02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
so then this person could just take an alternate education track. you are right its not dropping out. but she meant that she was going to get her g.e.d. ne way. so with her situation, thats what i meant. my boyfriend did, and so did his brother. you just have to have good reasoning [full-time job, a baby to take care of, or if you have pretty much no chance of graduating before you are 18, stuff like that]

xiz343
02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I thought that the drop out age was 17 'without' a parents signature, but that is what she told me, maybe she was lieing to me, I'm not sure. My mom signed because she knows I will go and get my GED and I would'nt graduate on time anyways so right now I'm studying for the GED and working full time to help my mom out, I will take my GED when I turn 18. I was told most college's accept the GED like a high school diploma, but not all.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements