PDA

View Full Version : PART TIME EMPLOYEE RIGHTS Wisconsin

kwonsoo
01-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I believe my wife and her fellow employees are being run over the coals. We had a snowfall today of about 10 inches. Some employees had trouble making it to work. One in particular (not my wife), is part time. By the time she arrived (half hour late) she was told the employer had called her residence to tell her not to come (call her off). Since she has already arrived I think they are required to let her work or pay her. My experience is from Pennsylvania. As an employer I could call part time employees and call them off. However, if they we in transit or had already arrived, I had to pay them a minimum of 4 hours. What is the deal in Wisconsin? Something sounds weird with the employer. ANYONE??

Pattymd
01-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I could not find any reporting time pay requirement in Wisconsin. If other employers have done so, it appears it was over and above what the law required.

robb71
01-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I did want to point out that there is no reporting pay requirement in PA also. Your prior company may have had a policy stating otherwise; but it was not a requirement of PA state law. Very very few states have such a requirement.

In the situation at hand, it's a hard call. The boss did attempt to notify the worker that no work was available on the day in question. I'm sure under circumstances such as these that many employers are a bit more flexible. It's unfortunate that the law does not specifically address reporting pay.

Beth3
01-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Since she has already arrived I think they are required to let her work or pay her. Nope - not in Wisconsin.

Some employers in Wisconsin have a policy of paying 4 hours of "report pay" or providing at least 4 hours of work but typically things beyond the employer's control are exempted from their policy (snow storms. power outages, non-delivery of materials, etc.)

Wisconsin Labor Law Posters
Comply with Wisconsin regulations with one Complete Wisconsin Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.