PDA

View Full Version : Forced Overtime Kansas

kcdoc
01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
My question is I am a non-exempt employee, (hourly paid) I have a 2nd job at night. Can my 1st job, my scheduled shift is 8am- 4:30pm make me stay after my scheduled off time and threaten me with being fired if I don't, I have to be at my other job by 5pm.

BSPCPA
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Kansas is an "employment-at-will' state, which in general terms means your employer can terminate you for any reason other than the usual discriminatory qualifiers - race, religion, sex, age, etc.

Bottom Line: If you are not able to accomodate your employer's overtime demands (eventhough those demands are made with little or no advance notice), he can let you go.

kcdoc
01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
If he does would I qualify for unemployment? What if I had a college course that I pay for could they make me stay and cause me to be late for school?

BSPCPA
01-02-2007, 11:18 PM
kcdoc: What if I had a college course that I pay for could they make me stay and cause me to be late for school?

I am not trying to be flippant here, but why do you think that makes a difference? Your employer doesn't have to care that you'll be late for college, late for picking up your child from day care, late for church, late for your AA meeting, or late for anything else. Honestly, I am not trying to be flippant here, rather I am trying to emphasize that your employer is not obligated to take into account your personal itinerary. If you are not available to work when he needs you, he can let you go.

kcdoc
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, I get the last laugh on my forced overtime managers, as of now Corporate Office wants an accounting of why certain people had so much overtime when there was enough employees that could cover shifts without any overtime. The managers are in the hot seat now from the owner. Kinda odd how a few of the ones making those schedules are now unemployed. Guess those unemployed managers should of thought of Labor hours and the effect it had on profit.:p

cbg
01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
None of which changes the fact that mandatory overtime is legal, and that your employer has no legal obligation to take your personal schedule into consideration.

kcdoc
01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I never said it wasn't legal I just asked a question about it. I could care less, more money in my pocket. The thing is the ones that forced it are no longer employed as the higher up's did not like the waste of money, when it could of been avoided. It can be legal, but the owner has the final say, if he doesn't like the waste in labor hours that's his choice is it not? He has the decision to fire so called manager's that are looking out for his business that abuse or give preferable treatment to certain employee's whether they like it or not. As it was a complaint was filed with him and he followed up on it.

Pattymd
02-01-2007, 03:30 AM
You asked if the employer could do this. Since this is an employment and labor law site, the implication is that you were asking is it legal. What else do you expect us to infer from your question? :confused:

Kansas Labor Law Posters
Comply with Kansas regulations with one Complete Kansas Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.