PDA

View Full Version : getting paid semi-monthly on a bi-weekly cycle? Georgia

nab80
10-23-2006, 09:01 AM
:confused: The company I work for has recently changed our cycle from 1-15 pay on the 20th to every two weeks ending every other Friday. However our pay dates have remained the same the 5th and the 20th. Is that fair? I mean we still only get paid 2 times a month but only for 2 weeks. It has been making a really big difference in my take home pay. Is that legal and fair payroll practices?

Pattymd
10-23-2006, 09:36 AM
A biweekly pay frequency pays for two weeks of time. A semi-monthly pay frequency pays for 1/2 a month of time. They are NOT the same thing.

But, I'm confused. You say you are still getting paid only twice per month, but the amount you are getting paid has been pro-rated to two weeks' worth? For example, if your salary is $2,000 per month, and you are paid semi-monthly, it's $1,000 per paycheck; if you are paid biweekly, it would be $923.08 per paycheck.

Is that what is happening? Has the pay period being included in each paycheck changed? It didn't sound like it from what you posted. And what is the check date in relation to the pay period ending now, and what was it before the change? Something doesn't sound right here.

nab80
10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I know, i am confused as well, when the change took place i had many questions but i still have not gotten a straight answer. I am an hourly employee, but using your example this is how it is i get paid on the 5th and the 20th but instead of getting paid $1000 i would get paid $923.08.

they have given us a calendar of how the pay dates and cycle run and as the months go by i see an increasing problem with the way we are being paid. the calendar pay cycles are as follows.
pay period sept.30th-oct.13th pay on the 20th.
oct.14th-27th pay on the 5th
oct.28th-nov.10th pay on the 5th ect.
now as you can see i am only getting paid for 2 weeks but twice a month and that is going to be a problem considering that i work the 1st and 3rd Saturday every month and that is cutting into how much i will be getting paid and for me that is a difference ranging from 100 to 400 $

ScottB
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
When you were paid semi-monthly, you got 24 paychecks a year

Being paid bi-weekly, you will get 26 paychecks a year.

The ANNUAL gross pay should be the same (give or take a day or two). I can't say about the net pay, but the bi-weekly net pay on an annual basis probably is not be LESS than the semi-monthly pay.

Yes, you may have to refigure your budget.

GotSmart
10-23-2006, 12:28 PM
:confused: The company I work for has recently changed our cycle from 1-15 pay on the 20th to every two weeks ending every other Friday. However our pay dates have remained the same the 5th and the 20th.

As I see it, you still get only two checks a month, on the exact same dates as before. Only the checks are for a smaller amount. (10 work days, vs 11 to 13 workdays.) The dates between the pay cut off, and the check being issued is getting further and further apart.

:that fair? I mean we still only get paid 2 times a month but only for 2 weeks. It has been making a really big difference in my take home pay. Is that legal and fair payroll practices?

That would put your employer in violation of the payroll laws real quickly.

Help me out senior posters with the laws on when the pay is due. (cut off vs check issued date) I am having a Brain Fart here!:D

nab80
10-23-2006, 12:53 PM
When you were paid semi-monthly, you got 24 paychecks a year

Being paid bi-weekly, you will get 26 paychecks a year.

The ANNUAL gross pay should be the same (give or take a day or two). I can't say about the net pay, but the bi-weekly net pay on an annual basis probably is not be LESS than the semi-monthly pay.

Yes, you may have to refigure your budget.

i do know that this is not making sense bi-weekly and semi-monthly are not the same this i know.......

but thats just it i am getting paid semi-monthly 24 paychecks a year but the amount i am getting paid for is based on a bi-weekly pay (26 paychecks) there is a 2 paycheck difference and thats where i start having a concern. I have no problem re-budgeting but the issue i have is that they just changed it without notice or an explanation and truthfully the change just does not make sense, if my hours are now being recorded very 2weeks (14days) shouldnt i be paid every 2weeks? Instead of 2 times a month. I am no longer getting paid for 1/2 the month (15/16days) but my pay dates have remain as if i am? it doesnt make sense to me and it sounds a bit confusing and no one in payroll will give me a straight answer. can you mix two different pay frequencies in that way?

Pattymd
10-24-2006, 03:55 AM
If you've worked out the schedule for the entire year and you will get ONLY 24 paychecks, not 26, then the employer has not done the proper wage conversions.

Here's the problem, though. Georgia law is VERY weak (virtually, nonexistent) in wage and hour issues, and defers to federal law. And, as long as you are getting paid at least minimum wage for all time you've worked, there is no violation of the law. It's possible this is the employees convoluted way of lowering your pay which, since you've been informed of it, is not illegal.

There's just no way for us to know what this employer could be thinking.

Georgia Labor Law Posters
Comply with Georgia regulations with one Complete Georgia Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.