PDA

View Full Version : Breaking lease due to moving more than 50 miles Florida

biostitute
10-16-2006, 10:06 AM
I accepted an offer at a company that is more than 50 miles away from where i used to live. I only was able to give my leasing agent a two week notice (on the lease, 60 days notice is required to break the lease, and you still have to pay one month's rent as penalty) because I could not stay at my former place of employment any longer, it was unbearable.

Now here is my question, does anyone know where it is stated in Florida law that you cannot be penalized by your leasing/rental agent for breaking a lease b/c you're moving more than 50 miles away? I have talked with a few people who've told me this, but aren't sure where it's stated in Florida law.

The leasing agent is trying to get me to pay the next two months rent (and i don't live there any longer) if she cannot find someone to move into my unit. I won't do that b/c i'm already paying a penalty to break the lease. It's almost like they're trying to penalize me twice. Any help in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Brook
10-16-2006, 04:01 PM
The law you cited is probably a tenant myth, but you can Google FL tenant law for verification. As for the monies that you owe, if you don't pay it is likely that youre LL or realtor will take you to court, ruin your rental record and possibly your credit. It is even possible that you may end up in a bad tenant database that will follow you around for the rest of your life. If you agreed to the terms of the lease when you moved in, why would you not keep your word? It is not your LL's fault that you accepted a job so far away from your home.

GotSmart
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I accepted an offer at a company that is more than 50 miles away from where i used to live. I only was able to give my leasing agent a two week notice (on the lease, 60 days notice is required to break the lease, and you still have to pay one month's rent as penalty) because I could not stay at my former place of employment any longer, it was unbearable.

Now here is my question, does anyone know where it is stated in Florida law that you cannot be penalized by your leasing/rental agent for breaking a lease b/c you're moving more than 50 miles away? I have talked with a few people who've told me this, but aren't sure where it's stated in Florida law.

The leasing agent is trying to get me to pay the next two months rent (and i don't live there any longer) if she cannot find someone to move into my unit. I won't do that b/c i'm already paying a penalty to break the lease. It's almost like they're trying to penalize me twice. Any help in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

commute while you look for a nice place close to your new job.

A lease is a lease. You should have read it closer.

Sorry:(

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements