PDA

View Full Version : Bigamy Indiana

stankewitz1977
09-11-2006, 09:38 AM
My Ex-husband and I were divorced two weeks ago. His Ex-wife was at my daycare center telling them that they were getting remarried. I did some checking and they haven't applied for a marriage liscense yet but I found some interesting things in some old files.

1. They filed for a divorce twice.

2. The divorce filings have different marriage dates.

3. I knew they married and divorced twice.

4. I can not find a decree from thier first marriage. Even though it was filed. And he claims they were divorced. But the paperwork and the computer say that there was no decree ever filed.

5. Where they legally married the second time? And if not can they legally divorce from the second time?

6. Does that make us ever married?

7. Was this bagamy?

Thank you!

xena
09-11-2006, 01:23 PM
My Ex-husband and I were divorced two weeks ago. His Ex-wife was at my daycare center telling them that they were getting remarried. I did some checking and they haven't applied for a marriage liscense yet but I found some interesting things in some old files.

1. They filed for a divorce twice.

2. The divorce filings have different marriage dates.

3. I knew they married and divorced twice.

4. I can not find a decree from thier first marriage. Even though it was filed. And he claims they were divorced. But the paperwork and the computer say that there was no decree ever filed.

5. Where they legally married the second time? And if not can they legally divorce from the second time?

6. Does that make us ever married?

7. Was this bagamy?

Thank you!
I don't think it matters if they weren't actually divorced the FIRST time. As long as they were actually divorced the SECOND time (before your marriage to him) then you and him did not commit bigamy. Nor would they have committed bigamy because bigamy is when you marry ANOTHER person while being married to someone else.

stankewitz1977
09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
OK, maybe I need to clarify here.

They were married in the early 90's. She filed for a divorce that never recieved a filed decree in 1995. Then there is a decree issued in 2000 that says they were married in 1998. Soooo.... to me it looks like that they may never have been legally divorced from the first time. And that the divorce for the second time was for a fraudulaent marriage to begin with.... picture clearer?

xena
09-12-2006, 01:56 PM
OK, maybe I need to clarify here.

They were married in the early 90's. She filed for a divorce that never recieved a filed decree in 1995. Then there is a decree issued in 2000 that says they were married in 1998. Soooo.... to me it looks like that they may never have been legally divorced from the first time. And that the divorce for the second time was for a fraudulaent marriage to begin with.... picture clearer?
Ok, they were married in early 90's.
In 1995 a divorce was filed for, but no decree can be found.
A divorce decree was issued in 2000.

From what you've posted they did nothing wrong for two very simple reasons- they were STILL legally married when they got married to each other again. (it is not against the law to remarry your own spouse, many couples do on thier 10th, 20th, ect anniversary).
They were no longer legally married after thier final divorce decree in 2000.

As long as you married him AFTER his divorce in 2000, no one has done anything wrong.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements