PDA

View Full Version : PTO vs Sick Days/Vacation Days/Personal Days

LTWID
08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Where I work, our current policy for "time off" is that you get so many vacation days, so many sick days, and so many personal days per year. The question has come up as to when the employees can use a sick day vs. when they use a vacation day or personal day. Our answer is usually that a sick day is to be used when you wake up in the morning and you don't feel good and you call in sick - the theory is that you don't plan ahead to use a "sick" day. I have read that some companies now use "PTO" or "paid time off" and put everything in one category, thus eliminating the employees having to pretend to be sick to get a day off on the spur of the moment.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this? If so, does it work well, or does it create more headaches? My job is to track the employee time, so I am interested in how difficult the transition would be if we decide to switch to PTO. How are any days that are carried over handled? Currently we carry over unused sick days, but nothing else. Any input whether pro or con would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

robb71
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
I did some research while in college on this subject. Many companies lean towards the idea of a PTO bank for many reasons. The most common is that an employee is less likely to call off sick when they have ample PTO to schedule. Companies actually see a reduction in those "mental" health sick day call outs. Since employees have fewer unexcused absences, the business is better able to plan and accomodate employee scheduling needs. If you know in advance that someone will be out, you are better able to prepare for the absence. It's a win-win situation.

turbowray
08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
I did some research while in college on this subject. Many companies lean towards the idea of a PTO bank for many reasons. The most common is that an employee is less likely to call off sick when they have ample PTO to schedule. Companies actually see a reduction in those "mental" health sick day call outs. Since employees have fewer unexcused absences, the business is better able to plan and accomodate employee scheduling needs. If you know in advance that someone will be out, you are better able to prepare for the absence. It's a win-win situation.
We get p.t.o at our work, and it can be used to make sure that we get a full check even if we are on vacation, sick, or a personal day. It is a good idea, but I must add, that just because I have p.t.o (which I get 10 hours every two weeks of work), this doesnt mean that I can say, I want this day off and you have to give it to me because I have p.t.o In other words, p.t.o means that if I am allowed to get a day off, I will get paid for that day, but having accrued p.t.o, doesn't mean that I am entitled to get that day off. Some of our workers who never miss, and take only a week vacation a year, have over 500 hours of p.t.o, so you could see the problem I am bringing up, offer the p.t.o, but maybe you could tell your employees that they can only accrue so much or it gets bought back once a year in a check (like the last check of the year), or they just simply loose it, so they can't keep it and cause your work to have someone out for a very very long time at once. I hope you got the idea of my post, lol, I have no experience in this area, I Just know one of the problems that my bosses have faced as a result of it.

LTWID
08-16-2006, 11:48 AM
I tried to approach this topic with my boss and she instantly fought it. She asked what businesses use this system. The quick research I did on my own brought up different colleges/universities that use this system and she shot that down with "education doesn't count - I want actual business names who use it." She says it will be too hard for her to track things "by the hour." Newsflash ... she doesn't track anything, I do and I don't see the problem or the difficulty in this. So, does anyone out that have any examples of "businesses" that use this policy?

turbowray
08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I tried to approach this topic with my boss and she instantly fought it. She asked what businesses use this system. The quick research I did on my own brought up different colleges/universities that use this system and she shot that down with "education doesn't count - I want actual business names who use it." She says it will be too hard for her to track things "by the hour." Newsflash ... she doesn't track anything, I do and I don't see the problem or the difficulty in this. So, does anyone out that have any examples of "businesses" that use this policy?
I can not give you the name of my hospital on a public forum but call hospitals, they are big enough to offer this kind of thing. Good luck to you!

robb71
08-17-2006, 03:37 AM
If you are a SHRM member, their website has numerous articles on the topic. These articles should be able to support your argument.

If you are an APA member and belong to their list-serv mailing, you could post the same question their and ask for individuals to directly email you with responses.

I'm sure there must be a benchmark study or white papers on PTO. You may want to "google" and see what you can come up with.

Also your payroll vendor may be able to provide such a study. I'd suggest contacting your sales person and making the same request. Let them do the research for you.

cbg
08-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I have worked for at least three companies that offer PTO as opposed to vacation/sick/personal; however I am not comfortable with posting company names on a public board. You can PM me if you like.

Pennsylvania Labor Law Posters
Comply with Pennsylvania regulations with one Complete Pennsylvania Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.