PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes full-time employment Maryland

walkerwg
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM
I would like to know what constitutes full-time/part-time in the state of Maryland pertaining to this senerio. "Part-time" employees at my workplace work between 50 and 70 hrs. per week for a period of 5 months or greater. Are there any laws that determine the point at which an individual changes from part-time employment to full-time employment. If so, then what are they? Also do they have any legal recoarse to being denied appropriate status?

Pattymd
06-02-2006, 01:26 AM
It is whatever the employer says it is. There is no law in Maryland or federal law that defines this. Employees classified as "part-time" often work full-time (or more) hours on a temporary basis. I agree that 5 months is a long time for "temporary", but that's a subjective call.

ElleMD
06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
If you are referring to things like benefits eligibility it depends entirely how your health plans are written. It may be that employees classified as temporary are not eligible and that is legal. If it had been years that you'd been classified as temp, then you may have recourse if it appeared that you were only classified as such to prevent owing you those benefits. While there is no magically period of time that is deemed too long, 5 months is hardly long enough to proclaim that you are not temporary. The courts have typically looked at those employees classified as temp in excess of 2 years.

Maryland labor Law Posters
Comply with Maryland regulations with one Complete Maryland Labor Law Poster.
Trusted with customer satisfication.
Call (800) 745-9970 or shop online at www.LaborLawCenter.com.