07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all the
paperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get a
divorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, she
actually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we get
into by going forward with this?

m_eL
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
In article <K5gze.3266$vT3.2754@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:
My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all thepaperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get adivorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, sheactually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we getinto by going forward with this?

Is it your child?

Just a Guy
07-07-2005, 02:05 PM
"m_eL" <NOBODY@blahhhblah.blah> wrote in message
news:6vgze.64589$go.64343@fed1read05...
In article <K5gze.3266$vT3.2754@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:
My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all thepaperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get adivorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, sheactually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we getinto by going forward with this? Is it your child?

Yes

m_eL
07-07-2005, 02:11 PM
In article <IOgze.3274$vT3.2028@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:
"m_eL" <NOBODY@blahhhblah.blah> wrote in messagenews:6vgze.64589$go.64343@fed1read05...
My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all thepaperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get adivorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, sheactually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we getinto by going forward with this? Is it your child?Yes

If you are planning to be involved with this child (and i hope you are) it
will be important to work out custody arrangements, like how you'll raise the
child together or if one of you will raise him/her alone or with a new partner
or ???

Sigh... i'm not qualified to give advice, but it breaks my heart and i want to
say to do anything you can to stay together but i realize that's not always
possible or the best choice.

Just a Guy
07-07-2005, 02:24 PM
news:vTgze.64599$go.4231@fed1read05...
In article <IOgze.3274$vT3.2028@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:
"m_eL" <NOBODY@blahhhblah.blah> wrote in messagenews:6vgze.64589$go.64343@fed1read05...
In article <K5gze.3266$vT3.2754@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:>My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all the>paperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get a>divorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, she>actually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we get>into by going forward with this? Is it your child?Yes If you are planning to be involved with this child (and i hope you are) it will be important to work out custody arrangements, like how you'll raise the child together or if one of you will raise him/her alone or with a new partner or ???
I see your point, but we already have two children that are in the papers,
so custody matters have been discussed and written down. However, with the
new one's name missing, I'm sure, if she were to become a total beotch,
(which I'm hopeful she won't) she could say something like, well the two
oldest can go with you, but the youngest stays with me. Considering she
wants this actually more than I, I'll bring that up to her 2nite.

Sigh... i'm not qualified to give advice, but it breaks my heart and i want to say to do anything you can to stay together but i realize that's not always possible or the best choice.
Our marriage has been bumpy all along. Married for 7 years, seperated, but
still seeing each other for 5 of them. I think she's just ready to move on,
as am I.

Thanks for the info and the sigh. :-)

Bill in Co.
07-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Just a Guy wrote:
"m_eL" <NOBODY@blahhhblah.blah> wrote in message news:vTgze.64599$go.4231@fed1read05...
In article <IOgze.3274$vT3.2028@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just aGuy <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:
"m_eL" <NOBODY@blahhhblah.blah> wrote in message news:6vgze.64589$go.64343@fed1read05...> In article <K5gze.3266$vT3.2754@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "> "Just a Guy"> <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:>> My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all the>> paperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get
a
>> divorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, she>> actually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we
get
>> into by going forward with this?>> Is it your child? Yes If you are planning to be involved with this child (and i hope you are)
it
will be important to work out custody arrangements, like how you'll raise the child together or if one of you will raise him/her alone or with a
new
partner or ??? I see your point, but we already have two children that are in the papers, so custody matters have been discussed and written down. However, with
the
new one's name missing, I'm sure, if she were to become a total beotch, (which I'm hopeful she won't) she could say something like, well the two oldest can go with you, but the youngest stays with me. Considering she wants this actually more than I, I'll bring that up to her 2nite.
Sigh... i'm not qualified to give advice, but it breaks my heart and i
want to
say to do anything you can to stay together but i realize that's not
always
possible or the best choice. Our marriage has been bumpy all along. Married for 7 years, seperated,
but
still seeing each other for 5 of them. I think she's just ready to move
on,
as am I. Thanks for the info and the sigh. :-)

Yeah, why not just move on. Who cares about the children anyway?
They're just in the way, I guess.

Yet another sign of the "disposable" times...

My Own Doppelganger
07-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Don't fool yourself. You are **** qualified to give advice.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:11:02 GMT, NOBODY@blahhhblah.blah (m_eL) wrote:

In article <K5gze.3266$vT3.2754@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:>My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all the>paperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get a>divorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, she>actually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we get>into by going forward with this? Is it your child?YesIf you are planning to be involved with this child (and i hope you are) itwill be important to work out custody arrangements, like how you'll raise thechild together or if one of you will raise him/her alone or with a new partneror ???Sigh... i'm not qualified to give advice, but it breaks my heart and i want tosay to do anything you can to stay together but i realize that's not alwayspossible or the best choice.

--------
In a cold world you need your friends to keep you warm.

Just a Guy
07-07-2005, 06:24 PM
It doesn't matter anymore. She's decided she won't go thru with it until
after the baby is born.

news:vTgze.64599$go.4231@fed1read05...
In article <K5gze.3266$vT3.2754@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:>My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all the>paperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get a>divorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, she>actually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we get>into by going forward with this? Is it your child?Yes If you are planning to be involved with this child (and i hope you are) it will be important to work out custody arrangements, like how you'll raise the child together or if one of you will raise him/her alone or with a new partner or ??? Sigh... i'm not qualified to give advice, but it breaks my heart and i want to say to do anything you can to stay together but i realize that's not always possible or the best choice.

m_eL
07-07-2005, 08:43 PM
In article <gBkze.3310$vT3.1548@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Just a Guy" <need_assistance@gmail.com> wrote:
It doesn't matter anymore. She's decided she won't go thru with it untilafter the baby is born.

Then i'll be hoping for a miracle for your family and that precious new life
that's about to come into it.

elklaw
07-07-2005, 09:46 PM
None. The child would be legitimate and you would be considered the father. On a practical note, since support and custody would need to be determined, it would be simpler to address all of that in the divorce and save money too.

Joe St. Lucas
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
>Our marriage has been bumpy all along. Married for 7 years, seperated, but
still seeing each other for 5 of them. I think she's just ready to move on,as am I.

And yet you decide to make yet another baby together. You might be tied with
the "i'm the dumbest guy alive" thread guy...

Nearl J Icarus
07-08-2005, 02:02 AM
need_assistance@gmail.com says...
It doesn't matter anymore. She's decided she won't go thru with it untilafter the baby is born.

When I filed for a divorce, the papers I had to sign stated that I was who I
was, she was who she was, we had one minor child, and that she was not
pregnant.

Rambler
07-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Joe St. Lucas wrote:
Our marriage has been bumpy all along. Married for 7 years, seperated, butstill seeing each other for 5 of them. I think she's just ready to move on,as am I. And yet you decide to make yet another baby together. You might be tied with the "i'm the dumbest guy alive" thread guy...

Rofl.

Rambler

BP aka John
07-09-2005, 09:05 PM
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:17:46 GMT, "Just a Guy" wrote:

My wife is pregnant, and we both want a divorce. We're doing all thepaperwork ourselves, and not using attorneys. They say you can't get adivorce while she's pregnant, but although I said we should wait, sheactually want's it done now. What kind of trouble, if any, could we getinto by going forward with this?

In my state (and others, I expect) the wife's pregnancy is just a
flat-out legal bar to the dissolution of marriage. It cant legally be
done while she is pregnant. I think the theory is that the court can't
adjudicate the paternity, custody, support etc for a child yet unborn,
and that it is bad policy to do everything else in the divorce before
the child is born and then come back into court for a paternity action
after the child is born.

BP

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements